3D Background Attaching wood to the wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yelle0277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am building a 57 gallon tank and want to create the look of a river cove underneath a tree where the river has eroded away the bank enough to expose portions of the roots. I read some of the posts on building rock walls into tanks and I was thinking that I could do something similar with weathered branches or drift wood to create the illusion of looking the roots under the cove. Or attach a larger chunk of wood to create a low lying branch partially and partially out of the water. Make sense??? Any thoughts on something that I could use that would create the illusion of earth and be strong enough to hold pieces of wood.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/my-new-tank-setup-with-diy-background-126101.html

Here's a thread on 3D backgrounds. You can use the foam and stick small pieces of driftwood into it to simulate roots.

+1 for using my thread :)

To the OP:

I'll say with the foam, it is really up to your imagination as to what you can create. With a little creativity I would say it would be very possible to achieve the look you want. I think the hardest part would be finding the driftwood that would achieve your desired effect. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks BigJim I think I'll be able to use these ideas.

Very nice build Viper! Any problems with chemicals and the fish?

Thanks BigJim I think I'll be able to use these ideas.

Very nice build Viper! Any problems with chemicals and the fish?

The only issues that incurred were from the cement raising the pH. Like I mentioned in my thread, at the beginning, the pH would start rising after a couple hours. By the time I put it in my tank, it would take upwards of 4 days before I started noticing a rise in the pH. It had been a couple months at that point (could be quicker with more diligent water changes after the pH started rising), so I just wanted to get the tank setup. It also didn't help that my parents were getting tired of having fish in the kitchen. I just did water changes every few days.

Your experience could be completely different. I'm assuming that using different cements and using different curing methods would produce different results than mine. I would look into getting a cement that is able to be sealed using acrylic. It was only after I put the cement on that I learned I couldn't use acrylic because of the chemicals in the type of cement I got. I've had some spots under the return from the filter where the cement has worn away exposing the pink foam underneath. They aren't large spots and are really only bothersome to me. I believe sealing the cement with acrylic would prevent this wearing away of the cement.

Other than the pH rising, I've had no other issues that would directly effect the fish.

Back
Top Bottom