3D Background for Cichlids - pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgsketch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, this is my first DIY project. So I decided to make a 3d background using Styrofoam for my new Lake Malawi setup. Using tips from many other threads in this forum, I will be using similar materials and methods. Therefore I might not be as detailed in my project on this forum, but rather show my pics and progress.

My tank is a 55 gallon tank, 48"x13"x20". I bought a pack of 48x15x3/4" Styrofoam and Great Stuff foam. Unfortunately Home depot did not have anything thicker, so I will be doing allot of gluing. I'm using typical aquarium glue from HD.

I started by measuring out my foam and cutting. You guys said this stuff was messy, I had no idea had bad it was. I have four sections going in. Two large sections and then I'm splitting up the last section, one above and one bellow my filter return. I will end up leaving a large crack in the rock to allow the water to go through. I decided this was the easiest way since my tank is limited on depth, I did not want to fully enclose my return and intakes. But I will conceal them the best I can. I plan to using colored cement to finish the background.

Here is a pic of my current tank. I will be getting rid of the little fishies soon, so I can use my tank for fitting the Styrofoam.
11.jpg

Here is a pic of the lower left block. I decided to make some realistic rocks along with some not so realistic caves for my fish. This is just after cutting the Styrofoam. I will heat it next to get rid of the ruff edges, then add seal it with cement.
15.jpg

Here are some Misc pics.
Filter:
12.jpg

Leporinus
14.jpg

[/img]

It's a battery backup. I had an extra one laying around so I hooked it up. I think it can last up to 5 min. But I don't know how long it will last with the filter going. It works great for short power outages, like last night when the power flickered and went off for about a min during a T storm.

I have yet to organize down there. Plus I'm looking to get a sump to install as well. It should fit nicely in there. Then when every thing is done I will build a new stand, since that one was thrown together without any plans for forthought. LOL

Back
Top Bottom