3D background for puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so im starting up a 30 gallon puffer tank. probably gonna be 2-3 figure 8 puffers in there

so decided to make a 3d background.

used regular white styrofoam and "Behr Basement and Masonry Waterproofing Paint"--- just like drylok
the paint is water based so i figured it would be safe for the fish.

no concrete used at all.

I will probably add darker grey paint to give it more depth

in the middle will be a dark blue background with blue LED lighting backlighting it.
img_1119717_0_908e90553e4d7aef04beb7ddbcce5dca.jpg

hole in the rock for the filter intake
img_1119717_1_25ead4127e3302f9cf4a77358ffd3fd0.jpg

inside of the cave where the heater is
img_1119717_2_2b7f65917a489b4ee8781b58802c3a74.jpg

Side of the cave where the heater will sit
img_1119717_3_8744ab71e366b44f30cc814bd5e72d3a.jpg

Thats really cool. Good job. I am impressed with how natural it looks. The first pick looks like a real rock formation. I cant wait to see it with water.

wow im stupid. 7 hours of work and i just realized that i didnt use silicon thats aquarium safe and that it has fungicide in it.

well thats garbage

Good thing you noticed the silicone before the fish were living in there!
It looks absolutely fabulous though!!!! What sealant are you using over the paint?

I'm impressed. I'm not sure about the paint being fish-safe. A coat of clear Krylon Fusion would seal the paint effectively.

I agree with BigJim, Krylon Fusion is a godsend for us aquarium people. :)

Really good job, I wish I was nifty enough to make something sweet like that for my fishy! I would only suggest getting 2 figure 8's in a 30 gallon and only if you have lots of hiding spots and decor to block their line of sight from each other. They might get along when young but as they mature they get very aggressive. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how everything works out for you!

i think i changed my mind..... probably going to get south american puffers, they seem nicer and they dont grow to be as big

thanks for all the compliments

why wouldnt the paint be fish safe? its waterproof paint... latex/water based

It all depends on what the paint is made out of. Even though it is waterproof it doesn't mean it is safe for submerged use in aquariums. Chemicals can leach from the paint into the water column and cause problems.

Many people have used the Krylon Fusion paint with great success.

It all depends on what the paint is made out of. Even though it is waterproof it doesn't mean it is safe for submerged use in aquariums. Chemicals can leach from the paint into the water column and cause problems.

Many people have used the Krylon Fusion paint with great success.

i've also read that many people have used drylok with success... and this stuff is pretty much the same... guess ill have to wait and see

Yeah I would monitor the water parameters and watch the fish closely over the next few weeks just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom