3d background/waterfall build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Here we go.. I had an empty 29 sitting around so I decided to try my hand at a 3d wall. I had most of the materials on hand already, so why not? I went for the stacked stone look.

I started out by cutting a piece of styrofoam to fit the back of the tank. I ended up trimming it later on, so I suggest cutting it about 1/2" shorter than your initial measurements on the top and sides if you plan to do this.
img_2118205_0_d8390fd884dec211ed255d1720c04073.jpg

Then I started shaping the 'stones'. I had my 8 year old help me silicone them. I attempted to layer them in different thicknesses but I'm finding out that certain thicknesses are harder to cover with cement.
img_2118205_1_10f1bc15c142a7d2c831392327102d85.jpg

Once I had all the stones 'shaped, I cut it down the middle (I left the middle open) so I can test fit it in the tank.

I took 2 1/2" pvc pipes and ziptied them together, added 90 degree elbows on top and cut a small gap at the bottom of each one.

img_2118205_2_5c37f71a2f5f8afa17306abe0b35bbf1.jpg

At the base where they mount I cut a piece of styro with a shallow bowl to it, and angled it slightly back towards the tubes so that the sand will hopefully collect and go back into the pickup.
img_2118205_3_3b51f3bd4eb3cb1d6a72709dd1600fa0.jpg

I used expanding foam (great stuff brand) to cover the tubes up, then once it set I cut notches in it and added little pieces of styro to make pseudo ledges for the sand to fall down on. I also took some styro and stacked it at the top of the pipes where the sand comes out, to hide both it and the air bubbles that will be coming up.
img_2118205_4_9f8d03abe20f9c8d8d9c6c68b70135dc.jpg

Here's the concrete I used, I ran it through a screen (screen door material) to get all the big rocks out, there were a lot.
img_2118205_5_840ecb518800e0e64ce0fe81986c76ce.jpg

Then I got the concrete a soupy consistency and started painting. The expanding foam didn't want to take it well so I scuffed it up a little bit and used a little bit thicker concrete to keep it in place. Hopefully it stays.
img_2118205_6_90381a098b36cc0c5ccce46c53aeb3a3.jpg

img_2118205_7_914d8cf794e0248374adb3ebea8bbfd8.jpg

That's it for today, will reapply the concrete tomorrow and then later tomorrow night a final coat mixed with a charcoal gray to give some shading. Stay tuned.

That looks cool. One question though, being a noob, what is the reason for the PVC pipe, the cuts to it, and the piece of foam?

Crawdaddy said:
That looks cool. One question though, being a noob, what is the reason for the PVC pipe, the cuts to it, and the piece of foam?

It's gonna be an underwater waterfall (with sand).

now you got me thinkin about one for when i get the 10g for my shrimp! grrrrrr sweet idea tho. thanx for sharing. and really easy to make.

Update. Got it all in and set up. The water still needs to clear some and it needs some touchups but it turned out great, I think. I used some white enamel to put a little bit of extra color on the rocks, plus it helps hide any spots that are showing white foam, lol.

Last edited:
Wow David, it turned out wonderfully. Makes me want to tackle a project like this. Fortunately I have no more room for tanks :)

Are you planning on planting the tank?

Maybe. If anything, I may glue some moss to cover any noticeable flaws or tack on some ferns for realism. The background sticks out so far that I don't want to clutter the open space too much.

jetajockey said:
Maybe. If anything, I may glue some moss to cover any noticeable flaws or tack on some ferns for realism. The background sticks out so far that I don't want to clutter the open space too much.

Believe me algae will cover all the flaws. At least it does on mine :)

im hoping you get online tonight cause im starting mine soon! yours looks awesome! when are you gonna post another vid of it? if you could have made any changes what would they have been and why? hope to chat with you tonight!----OChic

Back
Top Bottom