40 gal terrarium used as aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfish69

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some advice. I went to petsmart and got a terrarium, to use as an aquarium. They had the 40 gal aquarium I wanted, no lid. Went everywhere, no lid. Went back. Girls says I should use terrarium, I question her as to safety etc... She says all good. I pay, leave, come back to pick it up. They tell me to recaulk the sides as a "precaution" so I buy that and leave. Just setting up now...bottom of tank says do not fill with water! Is it just the caulking? I have read about glass thickness, the packaging says nothing about thickness. It is a tortise/bearded dragon lid and tank (that's what they are selling it as, anyway). Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm pretty sure that they tell you not to fill it up with water because they don't make it water tight and because the glass is a lot thinner.
So I don't think that it is a good idea.
Any body correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, thanks.... I wasn't very happy once i took it out of box and found do not fill with water.... I am returning it....

I'm pretty sure that they tell you not to fill it up with water because they don't make it water tight and because the glass is a lot thinner.
So I don't think that it is a good idea.
Any body correct me if I'm wrong?

+1 indeed. They arnt made to the same tolerances and have little reinforment to take the greatly added pressure.

Yes! Went back to the store...thanked them for wasting my time/energy (40 gal tanks aren't fun to lug around when your 120 pounds!) and told them they should educate their staff better, i was buying the aquarium to begin with and she talked me into the other! Got 10% off...so, all is well. Just going to buy plexi-glass for a lid

e5asaze3.jpg

Old tank

Attachments

• 1388198054794.jpg
    1388198054794.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 128
New

Attachments

• 1388198084749.jpg
    1388198084749.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 121
Quite the upgrade!

Good job for sticking up for yourself too.
I just wish that there was a law that prohibits any dishonesty in the fish trade or any trade for that matter but I guess that's what aquariums forums are for. :)

Very nice upgrade! I would be worried about the trunk supporting the weight of it though. That should be around 400lbs when its filled... Would be a shame to destroy such an awesome trunk and a nice tank as well :(

I am excited to get things set up! I will post a picture when my fish are happily in :) let's hope they all make the trip fine...and thanks everyone!

no worries, the trunk is very sturdy... it is old (like in the day they made things to stand up) yes, the packaging says 480 pounds! I've done some tests with the trunk ;) and now I'm gonna knock on wood... thanks!

Seems i caught a catfish in my tank :p

Ha

Attachments

• 1388243536425.jpg
    1388243536425.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom