40 Gallon Breeder Reef/ Stand Build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshnoob1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys this is my first saltwater build/thread. I'm finally getting there! Here's a list of what I have so far:

40g aquarium
29 or 20g aquarium for sump
magdrive 7 pump
2 hydor fully submersible heaters
glass-holes 700gph overflow box
Coralife super skimmer smallest version(I plan on upgrading down the road)
reef master test kit
saltwater master test kit
IO Reef crystals 200g box
Mostly finished super awesome metal stand(pics soon)
redsea hydrometer( I'll get a hydrometer soon don't worry)
1 hydor koralia 750gph
1 or 2 hydor koralia 550gph
eggcrate
....other cool stuff

Right now I plan on having mostly soft corals, maybe some sps down the road, or something. I'm going to get most of my rock for super cheap from somewhere and half or less from www.Tampabaysaltwater.com-The stuff they have is amazing! I plan on doing a DIY LED fixture probably a month or two down the road from now. (www.rapidled.com)

My sump is going to be divided in two - 1st section being the refugium, 2nd - return. the protein skimmer will just hang off the front of the sump. (for now at least, I don't know)
I still have to buy an RO/DI unit so I'm going to buy the 5stage PLUS unit from BRS during the group buy which Carey has so nicely set up. :thanks:
I'll have two 55 gallon drums for mixing saltwater/ storing water and stuff.

I really just have to figure out plumbing and some other little odds and ends and this puppy will be up and running! Also I am in school and working and stuff so this thread might get pretty sparse fairly regularly, but stay tuned. :cool:

29g sump
img_1779285_0_3a030caad86168068c59e976ca25d7dd.jpg

Overflow Elbow
img_1779285_1_dcd632de92809534ffd4f8892aaf8b91.jpg

Aquarium and some goods
img_1779285_2_7025720abf096713c249ec0e0a30a112.jpg

I will have pics of the stand, and completed sump tomorrow hopefully. :brows:

Looks great! :)

My only concern is the kitchen and bath silicone that you have pictured there. I thought that most kitchen and bath silicones had the anti-mold/mildew agents in the silicone- you definitely won't want that for aquarium applications if this is the case.

Yes THANK YOU. wow im dumb i just found -NOT FOR: .....aquariums blah i thought i checked but i guess i didn't check enough. Carey - yeah i guess i will get the refractometer now, the price has gone down a bit i think.

Also- what kind of paint should I use to paint the back of the tank? Like do different sheens make things pop out more or does it even matter?

I've used black regualr latex paint on all my tanks. I had a problem with peeling when I just did my 90g so I used a clear primer and then put the black paint on. I used a paintbrush and did like 3 coats by hand. I think I will be trying spray paint on my next tank though, alot of people have said thats what they use. :)

Alright, I have a half used spray can of black satin krylon brand paint I think I'll just use. I found this light fixture on craigslist, I'm not totally sure if this is a good deal for a fixture i would use until the summer when I can get LED components on sale. If this is a good deal and I get it, where is the best place to buy CF bulbs?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2807004354.html

I use Krylon Fusion spray paint. As long as you are patient and apply lots of thin coats, with time to dry in between, you shouldn't have any trouble with peeling.

That's an ok deal on the light, but right off the bat you'd probably want to replace one of those 10K's with an Actinic. Those 96W PCs are pretty pricey so to get that fixture the way you want it, it's not as cheap as it appears.

You can get a cheap T5 HO from fish need it;lights; food;Sponge for probably pretty close to the same price, with bulbs. I think they let you choose what bulbs you want, too.

Yeah bulbs are quite pricey. Awesome I think I'll just do the fishneedit fixture. I'll have two blue bulbs and two white bulbs. What color temp should the white bulbs be for best growth? I was thinking 6700k?

Also, what do you guys think about my sump design?
Is it okay if my skimmer section is also the refugium and then I'll have 3 glass baffles as my bubble trap which will divide the return from the fuge?

I use 10K for my white bulbs but that's just because I like the look of them. There are plenty of folks on this site that have more experience than I do and could probably give you an actual explanation. LOL

Stand pics as promised. (Still needs doors) Mild steel rectangular tubing TIGed together and steel sheet metal tacked on

Rear View
img_1780572_0_daef40be642ed1924c02bc96a449474d.jpg
Side View
img_1780572_1_e900801ac08dce7d86b696731e286339.jpg
img_1780572_2_0a6cbb24137f6cc4d4aaee20913008f2.jpg
img_1780572_3_41d7eaa49be8e113c6e0925dfeb0515a.jpg
From The Top
img_1780572_4_06edaa0a090a7e883d8c18c7f4ebe9a8.jpg

Stands looking good!

As far as the lights, 10k is a bit yellow in my opinion but the 12k or 14k is a bit more blue. The 6700k is totally not right for this application. :)

I'm not sure if the fishneedit gives you a 12k or 14k choice though. I have one but I went with 10ks at the time.

Either way keep us updated.

Thanks! fishneedit has a 14k option then jumps down to 10k. should i go with the 14k? Im guessing that 2 14k and 2 actinics would average to around 17k?

I would get the 14k whites and the regular actinics. I think it will give you a blueish hue but not too too blue. :) It should give a depth to your fish and corals, at least that's the effect I get from 12k bulbs and super blue actinics.

Great i'll be ordering the fixture soon.

So at the beginning of this thread I mentioned that I will be using two 55 gallon blue drums for mixing/ storing water. The drums are closed on both ends but have two holes on one end.

I have the tools to cut off one top from the drum, but how would I keep it closed or preferably sealed for storing water?

Also, I can just keep RO/DI water in the drums for as long as I want without any worries right?

I don't store my ro water more than 2 weeks. It's my emergency water. lol If I don't use it I rotate it for my next water change.

Ok i think i just thought it over again in my head and that does make more sense lol. If you could choose between a 40g or the 20" tall version of a 40g which would it be?

I'd go with a 40g breeder over a tall tank. Much better to rockscape and lots of room. Also you wont need the high intensity lighting as the tank is kinda shallow. :)

Your stand looks great! I agree with carey on choosing a breeder vs a tall tank. I had a 20 gal high and it was a bit of a pain when it came to maintenance.

Definitely the breeder over any other. The 40 tall is too narrow both width and front to back.. the 40 long is too skinny. The 40 breeder gives you lots of scaping room. I'm in love with mine, loved it planted, love it even more now that it's a reef tank.

Thanks, sorry I actually meant the same footprint( no way in heck would i do anything shorter front to backwise.) but 20" tall so 36" Long, 18" Front-Back, 20" Tall

Back
Top Bottom