5.5 Gallon Divided?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathey6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5.5 Gallon aquarium with nothing else, just the aquarium and I was wondering if I could make a hood (with lights) and divider out of plexi-glass or something like that. I have an old 10 gallon internal filter and was wondering if this would be too powerful for two beta or what I should do. I also need it to run from one heater and filter. I was also thinking about making one side a little smaller and having a beta on that side and 3 guppies on the other...Just brainstorming because I HATE empty tanks laying around collecting dust. Thanks!

A glass divider isn't the best idea. If the betta is not comfortable with other fish, he will get fixated on the guppies. He will stress himself out with flaring.

And a 5.5g is a perfect size for a betta. He will be very happy in there. I'm not sure less that 5.5g would be recommended for a guppy either. But, I could be wrong, I don;t know much about them.

I actually have had great success with a divided five gallon tank with two bettas. I disagree that bettas need five gals, when I have two beautiful happy bettas in one. It's the best I can give them. And I know this is a touchy subject, and this is just my opinion.

I found this online and I used it and it was super easy, and very inexpensive.
DIY Aquarium Tank Dividers

Instead of the white piece of mesh, I actually used black. The bettas can't see each other with the darker color. It's not stressful on the fish, and it allows easy flow from the filter and heater to both sides.

Good luck!

Not saying that the beta wouldn't be happier by himself in there :)

Just thought I'd share a successful method I've used to divide a tank cheaply and easily.

nathey6 said:
ok, cool. I know I am asking a lot of questions but do I need a lid?

That's what this forum is for ask away. As far as needing a lid I would say yes my lil guy literally almost jumps out of this tank when I feed him in the morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom