50 gallon "handmedown" ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 20H tank ATM, I'm very close to being done the cycle in it now. I'm looking to get all the stuff to work in my 50 first them ill move everything over from the 20 to the 50. I'm thinking about getting a penguin emperor, but I don't know what filtration is best for a 50 because ill be using sand? (I want my tank to have a dark sand+drift wood coming out then some plants) I'm not sure yet though.

I'm getting the rena xp4 ( xp xl). I personally wouldn't get hob filters for tanks bigger than 40-50 gallons. Hobs seem to break down easier when in a bigger tank. Sand is fine with hobs and canisters. Canisters provide more filtration and will clean the water a lot better. Canisters ( fluval 306/406, marineland
c-350/c-450, or the rena filstars ) are a bang for the $.

I'm getting the rena xp4 ( xp xl). I personally wouldn't get hob filters for tanks bigger than 40-50 gallons. Hobs seem to break down easier when in a bigger tank. Sand is fine with hobs and canisters. Canisters provide more filtration and will clean the water a lot better. Canisters ( fluval 306/406, marineland
c-350/c-450, or the rena filstars ) are a bang for the $.

If you do get an HOB, get an AquaClear over the Emperor. A lot quieter and flexible media options.

If you do get an HOB, get an AquaClear over the Emperor. A lot quieter and flexible media options.

+1 for aquaclear if you don't get canister. They are definitely a lot quieter. Emperors are known to be a bit noisy. I prefer canisters over all hobs though.

+1 for aquaclear if you don't get canister. They are definitely a lot quieter. Emperors are known to be a bit noisy. I prefer canisters over all hobs though.

Thanks so much guys for all the help! Is it true that I can transfer my filter media in to the new filter or canister, same for the decorations to have an instant cycle??

Thanks so much guys for all the help! Is it true that I can transfer my filter media in to the new filter or canister, same for the decorations to have an instant cycle??

To transport the media to a canister, you will need to pour out the carbon/whatever is inside cartridge into one of the media baskets. But you don't need to do that because the gravel also has a lot of bacteria. You can just take the hob filter out and put in a new filter. Bacteria from gravel will get sucked into filter and start growing in the filter.

What kind of filter are you running on the 20? When you are ready to transfer everything to the 50, you can run BOTH filters for a while (the one from the 20 and the new one). Probably better (as you mentioned) to transfer some of the current media to the new filter. Not sure if it is an instant cycle but more of a continuation of the existing one.

What kind of filter are you running on the 20? When you are ready to transfer everything to the 50, you can run BOTH filters for a while (the one from the 20 and the new one). Probably better (as you mentioned) to transfer some of the current media to the new filter. Not sure if it is an instant cycle but more of a continuation of the existing one.

I have a penguin 100 & 150 running ATM!

You could run all 3 temporarily and slowly phase out of the penguins over time. You could keep one of the penguins running with the new one of you want.

You could do that too. Have all three for around 1 week, then remove one hob, and if you want, keep one penguin and the canister running.

You could do that too. Have all three for around 1 week, then remove one hob, and if you want, keep one penguin and the canister running.

Is this any good?

Attachments

• image-2347480869.jpg
    image-2347480869.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 42
Is this any good?

It's ok but the uv light is a waste. It's so small it won't make a difference with the water. Also, the parts sometimes are a bit fragile but other than that, it's ok.
I prefer these canisters:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000260FX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357472&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NRTLVY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357654&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005QRDDWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357708&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

It's ok but the uv light is a waste. It's so small it won't make a difference with the water. Also, the parts sometimes are a bit fragile but other than that, it's ok.
I prefer these canisters:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000260FX4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357472&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NRTLVY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357654&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005QRDDWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1370357708&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Ok since money isn't a problem when it comes to filters what is the best,, what is the easiest to set up? Also is it able to be set up straight out of the box?

Ok since money isn't a problem when it comes to filters what is the best,, what is the easiest to set up? Also is it able to be set up straight out of the box?

Most canisters can be set up right out of the box. It comes with all the parts to set up. I think the rena or fluval are the best. I got a rena xp xl for my 55 gal. It runs great.

Quick random question!! I'm in the middle of my cycle and my ammonia is .25 nitate .50 nitrate 5.0 how far am I?

Quick random question!! I'm in the middle of my cycle and my ammonia is .25 nitate .50 nitrate 5.0 how far am I?

Everything must be zero except nitrate. Nitrate usually stays around .25-.5 for me. The cycling is getting there. :)
What filter are you using?

Everything must be zero except nitrate. Nitrate usually stays around .25-.5 for me. The cycling is getting there. :)
What filter are you using?

Penguin 100 and penguin 150 also I'm just starting to get nitrates so this should be gppd

Penguin 100 and penguin 150 also I'm just starting to get nitrates so this should be gppd

Getting more nitrates is never really good but some is ok. So your gonna stick with those filters or get a canister or another hob?

Getting more nitrates is never really good but some is ok. So your gonna stick with those filters or get a canister or another hob?

Getting nitrates for me is good cause I've been looking for them durning this long cycle and I'm gonna get a canister and run both for a while then take the penguin 100 off and keep 150 on the back

Getting nitrates for me is good cause I've been looking for them durning this long cycle and I'm gonna get a canister and run both for a while then take the penguin 100 off and keep 150 on the back

Oh. I'm surprised you didn't get any nitrates in the beginning. Which canister?

Oh. I'm surprised you didn't get any nitrates in the beginning. Which canister?

I did a fish-in (my LFS said it was ok to stock Afew fish and I did and my tank was defiantly over stocked so I returned some, kept my favorite ones) and now I should be almost done the cycle (crossing my toes and fingers)

Back
Top Bottom