Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #11
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magedsabri View Post
I never thought about TDS honestly! I'm not an expert in the hobby , I always make a weekly water change around 10 to 20%, I never faced major issues with my small old tank, I'm planning to do around 15% weekly water change for my new setup, will this work or shall I get a new RO system to feed my ATO storage tank
Get an RO unit for the top ups. Tap water is perfectly fine for water changes.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Get an RO unit for the top ups. Tap water is perfectly fine for water changes.
Sorry for a stupid question , why tap water is fine for water changes but not for top ups

Old 04-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magedsabri View Post
Sorry for a stupid question , why tap water is fine for water changes but not for top ups
Water change = removal of water with slightly higher TDS to be replaced with water slightly lower in TDS = stable TDS.

Top ups = addition of water with slightly lower TDS than the tank, but NO REMOVAL of higher TDS water from the tank.

100 gallon tank, 250ppm TDS.
50% weekly water change with tap water that is 200ppm in TDS = 225ppm TDS after the water change (250 + 200 = 450 / 2 = 225).

As organics dissolve into the water throughout the week, it will slowly rise back to 250ppm and then drop back down to 225 after the water change.

If you top up with tap water, you are adding more dissolved solids, but not removing any via a water change.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, gallon, overflow, project, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com