55 Gallon Tank Mod Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildtiger77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was reading about how much noise you can have installing an external overflow. I was going to install an Internal overflow but I do not have a "corner overflow chamber". I would like to add one and using a diamond top drill bit, drill a hole in the bottom of the tank. Then I would get Glass cut at HD and Silicon it to make a small square box in the corner for overflow. Has anyone ever tried this? I am looking for any information, if this is possible or if I would have to buy tank with corner overflow chamber built in.

Thanks

[mod]moved this to the DIY section for better exposure[/mod]

lots of folks do this kind of thing. Fist caution, is your tank glass, acrylic or tempered glass?

tempered glass can NOT be drilled so be careful. If you don't know... i'm don't know if there's a way to tell or not, hopefully someone here will know a way.

for building your overflow chamber, go with acrylic. Much easier to handle, cut etc. IMO

You should check with the manufacturer of your tank on if and how your tank can and should be drilled. Some of these require special handling to drill holes in it. If the tank is acrylic, then it can be drilled very easily with any standard high speed drill. 8)

I don't think you will have a problem with the external overflow. I think Kevin used to use them or still does. A friend of mine has one for his 150 gallon. Its a double drain, and he didn't like that, so he capped off one end. It makes virtually no noise.

most 55 gallons are standard glass, so you should be OK there, but it won't hurt to double check - an experienced glass-working person should be able to tell you one way or the other.

your idea about the glass to make a corner box is good - it is a lot easier to glue glass to glass then trying to glue a pieces of plastic in there and run the risk of them coming unglued eventually.

however, you don't really need a strainer box, you can use a durso stand-pipe and a strainer fitting instead, and just stack some rocks around the pipe to hide it.

-----

if you're worried about noise from an external overflow, build your own - this way you can incorporate items into the design to counteract the noise, something most commerical overflows don't bother with yet. for $30-$50 you can buy enough material to make just about any capacity overflow.

hope this helps
Gordon

Glass Cutting

If I get the glass cut from HomeDepot - Will they have very sharp edges or does home Depot also sand them down for you a little?? Just curious

That would be something you would need to consult HD about.
I am sure they would sand it down for "liability", however you never do know. Just ask the person you plan on having cut your glass.

no, they won't sand them down - typically the sharp edges of cut glass get sealed inside a window frame, so it does not matter.

use some leather gloves and some fine sand paper and nock the edges down yourself, it is not too hard!

just remember to sand ACROSS the edge of the glass... not with the length of the edge :eek:)

From what I have noticed is that most 55gal tanks are Tempered.. I say 4 different kinds that at the bottom of the tank states "Tempered Glass Do Not Drill" However if it is a new tank and doesnt say that you should be ok to drill....

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom