I am finishing a stand for my 55 gallon. It's not the most attractive after my first attempt at staining. (homedepot clerks shouldn't give advice if it's bad advice)
I wish I had used stain w/o polyurethane then applied the poly after it was stained the right shade. Came out sorta dark, but not up to the task of stripping and staining over again.
Anyhow, if I knew how to size pics, I would post a couple of how it went. I used an idea off google and ran with it.
Built it with space underneath for a sump or canister. Going with canister since I know nothing about sumps. Even after trying to educate myself about them.