55g Reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, if I can do it ANYONE can! I can't wait to see some pics of yours. Maybe push up the date?? Spring is already so busy.. ;-)

Ha! Gonna post some pics of my 55g tonight or tomorrow. Been putting in Java Moss and boiling driftwood all noght for it. But you're right, I may not be able to put it off.

savage said:
Ha! Gonna post some pics of my 55g tonight or tomorrow. Been putting in Java Moss and boiling driftwood all noght for it. But you're right, I may not be able to put it off.

Awesome! Why wait!? You're in the groove now might as well keep it going. ;-) I've been boiling wood here too! Good to know I'm not the only one ;-) I'm also setting up the filtration for my 80 now.

You should post a picture if you can, it'd be easier for people to see exactly how bad of a break/crack and where it's located? Some of the hexagon tanks (I have a 46gal) have the braces that are only for the hoods not for stability of the tank. Not saying thats what yours is just saying it's hard to tell without seeing it. :)

This is the tank.

Attachments

• Full page photo.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
I've noticed that a piece of the black plastic framework on the bottom is cracked. It's a good long crack. I'll see if I can get a pic. Will that doom my re-seal?

I had to go on the tablet, it didn't show on my mobile. The shape is very cool! It reminds me of a bay window. Should make for excellent viewing! I can't see the crack though.

I'll wait to see the picture, I was told the black plastic part is mostly for decorative purposes only unless its on the center brace. I know when I did my reseal I removed the black plastic completely to do it. Then put it back on after, it felt good when I slipped it back on cause I knew the tanks shape wasn't compremised from the reseal.

I'll wait to see the picture, I was told the black plastic part is mostly for decorative purposes only unless its on the center brace. I know when I did my reseal I removed the black plastic completely to do it. Then put it back on after, it felt good when I slipped it back on cause I knew the tanks shape wasn't compremised from the reseal.

Thanks. During the reseal, how do I remove the black plastic? Is it silicone on?

Mine wasn't siliconed on it had hard water crusted on it and I just ran my blade through it and it slipped right off. Looking at your tank though I'm not sure if that's going to be possible for you. It looks like yours is structural the black on your tank looks like it's part of your braces. They run across the top and bottom of the tank right? Not just around the tank?

Mine wasn't siliconed on it had hard water crusted on it and I just ran my blade through it and it slipped right off. Looking at your tank though I'm not sure if that's going to be possible for you. It looks like yours is structural the black on your tank looks like it's part of your braces. They run across the top and bottom of the tank right? Not just around the tank?

Yes, correct. My plan is to use it as a sump for a 150g tank. I guess I'll just try resealing it and placing some kind of strap around that side and hope for best.

If it's only going to be used as a sump does that mean it will hold half of the water? (I've never had a sump)

Figure it should be ok. Are you doing all the seals? Or just the insides?

need4fish said:
I was thinking of just doing the inside. Other than the inside, where else would I silicone?

With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!

With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!

They appear good. I just finished stripping as much of the old sealant as I could and will attemp a reseal in a couple of days. Thanks for your help!
I'll let you know how I make out.

Remember to use alcohol on the old seams to remove even the smallest trace of silicone before you apply the new. Other wise the new stuff won't adhere properly. Let me know how it goes :)

Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring? ;-)

Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring? ;-)

So far, I'm waiting. I've been so busy with the other tanks right now I haven't had much time to think about it. I am a little concerned about the crack that I noticed in the frame. Mostly because it's on the bottom/side, and it's pretty long.

I can't lie though, I've been on the lookout for a 125g that needs some TLC too. If I find a sweet deal (and mama doesn't slow me down) I'll still do the reseal for a breeder tank or QT. LOL! But regardless of the weather, once I get this other 55g where I want it, I will be starting another!!!!

Up to this point, my wife hasn't joined AA, so I'm safe to say these things! hehe

Is yours holding up? You cycling by now?

Back
Top Bottom