Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I recently did a 55 reseal... twice, because I messed it up the first time... Just a few pointers here:

1. Use GE Type 1 Clear Silicone. Nothing with any mildew inhibitors, colors, etc.
2. Remove all the old silicone and wipe it down with vinegar. Wipe away any residue.
3. Tape off the entire project. Leave little tabs at the ends to ease removal of the tape.
4. Work quickly! Apply the silicone and use a tongue depressor to force the silicone into the edges.
5. Extra hands will be a huge help here! Remove the tape quickly before it skims over, otherwise you will end up with a mess (I learned that the hard way). Do not wipe away any little bits you spill. Wait until they dry and use a razor blade to scrape them away.
6. Let the silicone dry for at least 2 days before putting water into the tank. Take the tank outside or into the garage to fill it. A leak would make a mess on the floor or carpet. Let the filled tank sit for at least 2 days to make sure it holds water. If it leaks, you have to start all over. As you said, spot fixes dont usually hold.
8. Drain the tank and move it to your setup location.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage
I'm sitting on it until spring. I have another 55g that I'm in the process of setting up right now. About the time I get it stocked where I want it, we should be thawed out and ready to go.

How's the leak test looking? That's got to be the nerve-wracking part of it!
So far so good yes.. This is probably the worst part yet. I'm sitting here almost waiting for the darn thing to leak. While at the same time hoping it doesn't. Lol!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF View Post
I recently did a 55 reseal... twice, because I messed it up the first time... Just a few pointers here:

1. Use GE Type 1 Clear Silicone. Nothing with any mildew inhibitors, colors, etc.
2. Remove all the old silicone and wipe it down with vinegar. Wipe away any residue.
3. Tape off the entire project. Leave little tabs at the ends to ease removal of the tape.
4. Work quickly! Apply the silicone and use a tongue depressor to force the silicone into the edges.
5. Extra hands will be a huge help here! Remove the tape quickly before it skims over, otherwise you will end up with a mess (I learned that the hard way). Do not wipe away any little bits you spill. Wait until they dry and use a razor blade to scrape them away.
6. Let the silicone dry for at least 2 days before putting water into the tank. Take the tank outside or into the garage to fill it. A leak would make a mess on the floor or carpet. Let the filled tank sit for at least 2 days to make sure it holds water. If it leaks, you have to start all over. As you said, spot fixes dont usually hold.
8. Drain the tank and move it to your setup location.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. I'm chomping at the bit to get started, but the wife and the carpet are exactly why I'm waiting. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
So far so good yes.. This is probably the worst part yet. I'm sitting here almost waiting for the darn thing to leak. While at the same time hoping it doesn't. Lol!

HA! I bet. I'm feeling some of the anxiety for you right now. Keep me posted and throw some pics down. Pics of it passing the leak test would be the best!
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

HA! I bet. I'm feeling some of the anxiety for you right now. Keep me posted and throw some pics down. Pics of it passing the leak test would be the best!
Being brave (and yes lazy) filled it in the livingroom. First shot "the one bucket bail"
Second shot after 24 hours! Not a drop any where!!! YAY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-498664188.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	70820   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2455739128.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	70821  

Old 01-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great and clean work! I have a 45 gallon flat hexagon that leaks which I got from a friend. I did noticed that one of the two braces is broken. Is there somewhere I can purchase a top brace so that I can reseal? BTW, I plan to use it as a sump for my 150 gallon.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Being brave (and yes lazy) filled it in the livingroom. First shot "the one bucket bail"
Second shot after 24 hours! Not a drop any where!!! YAY!
Nice! Great job! Now I can't post anything on mine until it doesn't leak! LOL. That's awesome!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4fish
Great and clean work! I have a 45 gallon flat hexagon that leaks which I got from a friend. I did noticed that one of the two braces is broken. Is there somewhere I can purchase a top brace so that I can reseal? BTW, I plan to use it as a sump for my 150 gallon.
You should post a picture if you can, it'd be easier for people to see exactly how bad of a break/crack and where it's located? Some of the hexagon tanks (I have a 46gal) have the braces that are only for the hoods not for stability of the tank. Not saying thats what yours is just saying it's hard to tell without seeing it.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Nice! Great job! Now I can't post anything on mine until it doesn't leak! LOL. That's awesome!
Hey, if I can do it ANYONE can! I can't wait to see some pics of yours. Maybe push up the date?? Spring is already so busy..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
You should post a picture if you can, it'd be easier for people to see exactly how bad of a break/crack and where it's located? Some of the hexagon tanks (I have a 46gal) have the braces that are only for the hoods not for stability of the tank. Not saying thats what yours is just saying it's hard to tell without seeing it.
I'll take some pics this week. The tank is at work. BTW there are no visible cracks that I could see and it's apparent that an attempt was made to reseal
over the original.

Thanks.

Tags
55 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com