55g Reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! Don't let her join ALL your secrets will be out ;-) If the crack is on the bottom and its the frame I'd be weary of using it too. It's really hard to gauge though without seeing it. If you're anything like me, I'd use it as an excuse to get the 125 ;-)

Remember to use alcohol on the old seams to remove even the smallest trace of silicone before you apply the new. Other wise the new stuff won't adhere properly. Let me know how it goes :)

Resealed on Friday, cured for 24 hours, filled to the top last night and seems to be holding.

need4fish said:
Resealed on Friday, cured for 24 hours, filled to the top last night and seems to be holding.

*thumbs up* feels good when it holds water doesn't it? :)

I would like to add a few comments, based on some of the replies in this thread. Getting "most" of the old silicone off isn't good enough. It as to ALL be removed. When you are sure you have gotten all of it, grab a new blade and go over it again.
There are lots of safe silicones out there including GE Silicone I for "windows and doors". Do not use any silicone that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath" . This has been stated many times but bears repeating as people are still making that mistake. I generally use a house brand that states "aquarium safe" on the label.
Cleaning the seam after old silicone removal and before adding new, with alcohol or acetone is important to remove any oily residues such as skin oils from the seam area. Neither alcohol or acetone will remove any silicone residue left behind after the scraping operation.
Cure time is relative to the size/thickness of the bead applied. A really large bead is counter productive as it is difficult to get a clean, feathered edge if the bead is too big. Regardless, the house brand silicones have a cure time for a relative thickness, but add a day or two when used for aquariums.
When testing a resealed tank, it is often recommended it be done outside. This is fine as long as the same care is taken to place the tank as you would for setup. It needs to be on a sturdy, flat, level surface to avoid any torquing that could cause the tank to leak or even fracture. Don't ruin your efforts by taking a short cut here.
A lot of people are afraid of tanks that have been resealed, but at least half of my tanks are reseals that were bought as leakers after they were returned to the store.

Mlani said:
Remember to use alcohol on the old seams to remove even the smallest trace of silicone before you apply the new. Other wise the new stuff won't adhere properly. Let me know how it goes :)

So I found a typo.. Should reread things before I post. "seams to remove" should read "seams and remove" my bad sorry :)

I think I finally got it. Spring came early, so I resealed about a week ago. I never got to the water test. I thought it looked terrible, so I recleaned and resealed again last night. Much better this time. Water test in a couple of days!

Update: I scraped off the original reseal, because it was terrible. I re-did it a few nights later and am much happier. It's been leak-testing for a week and looking good.

I syphoned the water out tonight and will put it in place. Here's a pic of the DIY stand that I built last weekend with my brother and nephew. Sorry for the mess. I'm going to put laminate wood flooring around it, and my daughter's going to make some curtains for it. This will hold both 55's.

Resealing is intense. Will post pics of the tank when I get it in place. Got some cool driftwood and a sweet lava rock for it today. It'll be planted with black blasting sand!

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom