Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

55g Reseal

Hey All- My brother gave me his old 55g w/stand as a bonus Christmas present. He knows that it had a small leak when he took it out of service. I'm sure it's not good to try to repair a specific leak spot (I'm in hydraulics and that never works in my world). I read an article on here about scraping and cleaning the silicone from the inside and then just doing the whole inside fresh. I've read other articles that suggest disassembling the whole tank and starting over.

Should that be a second option if the 1st reseal doesn't work? Or would it be best to just take it all down and get er done?

I don't mind projects (photography, leatherworking, painting, drywall, flooring, etc.), but this seems like a big job that most would only prefer to do once. So I guess I'm looking to hear someone show me some confidence in the first method! hehe

I appreciate any input in advance!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can just do a reseal and it should be fine. If you look at the corners of the glass where they are sealed together, if you see the seal broken then you will have to disassemble it completely. Whatever silicone you choose to use, make sure you let it cure for at least 1 week and then do a leak test for another week.

Try to use an aquarium safe sealant. A lot of people use GE Silicone #2 from the hardware store, but it was not designed for aquariums. Even GE does not recommend it as many people have killed their fish and corals with that product.

I highly recommend that you pick up a silicone spreader (versus your finger) from the hardware store. That will give you perfect corners and will make your silicone look like factory issue when you take the masking tape off. Also use a lot of rubbing alcohol as it sticks really bad to your tools and gloves.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I appreciate the tips. I've put this off until spring, so I don't have to leak test in the house (wife's preference). Of course, that made it easy for me to go grab one at the Petco $1/g sale. About the time that one's looking good, I'll be cruising into the reseal!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've just finished doing a 80gal myself. There's a video on you tube that takes you through the whole process. When I get to the computer I'll post it if you like. (I'm on mobile app right now)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah. That'd be great thanks. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great stuff. I appreciate it. I'll be using this for sure.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

no problem I used it as a "guide" it gives you the basics and if you're like me it's easier to understand by watching someone else do it first. Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How's it coming on your reseal? I'm doing the water test on mine tonight.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm sitting on it until spring. I have another 55g that I'm in the process of setting up right now. About the time I get it stocked where I want it, we should be thawed out and ready to go.

How's the leak test looking? That's got to be the nerve-wracking part of it!

Tags
55 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com