We had a catastrophic tank failure about a week ago and had to find a tank in a hurry. We found an old church selling what we were told was an "old, large tank in rough shape" for $40. It turned out to be a really solid 72 gal
bowfront in great shape, it was just very dirty. (Hard water marks, and being stored in a garage for some time).
So we brought it home. It had a very large hole drilled in the upper back left corner (almost 3" in diameter). We don't have room for a sump and I'm in the middle of finals so trying to figure out what kind of bulkhead we would have needed seemed daunting so I decided to just patch it.
Patching went well but it was, well, ugly. We thought it over and decided to do a DIY mosaic background on the tank. We picked up some glass tiles and spent a little over 6 hours last night, outside in the dark, siliconing them into place. This is what it looks like now:
The patch is in the upper left hand corner of the second picture. It's almost invisible now.