75 Gallon Sump Setup ... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merelymiche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my 75g in place and would like to set it up while I cure my new live rock in the 110g DT. The previous owner built it as a DIY project and said it was setup before the DT was connected.
It is interesting because he used 1/2 of it as a "refugium" but it was really another display tank for his basement (the 75g was in the basement, the 110g DT was on the main floor).

I took a few pictures so all my AA helpers could understand what I am talking about. Can I set this up on its own for 2-4 weeks while I cure my rock in the other tank?

I would need to know where everything would go, and the seller isn't able to answer tonight. Could anyone provide some insight? I tried labeling it appropriately; let me know if I am completely off! I know there will be MANY opinions, and am prepared for it!
:thanks:

THANKS!

(I am assuming water would flow from top right, through baffle walls acting as bubble stoppers [which are more than 1" apart but they worked for him], into refugium, down algae ramp and into chamber with return flow.)

img_1360480_0_3b1a1387e5157d718ec4dfba0dd2dd23.jpg

img_1360480_1_38d2a8a071db178c22789b0fd91c3cd5.jpg

Here is the view from the refugium side

img_1360480_2_d4a8ad1fa29410d22ca39fb39d8939b6.jpg

Can you get another picture a little farther away? It is kind of hard for me to understand the layout.

It looks like the water comes in the top right, then flows along the top to the left and then hooks down to bottom left and goes back to the right for the return? Seems like that entire top section is a waste IMO.

Do you plan on running a skimmer? There doesn't look to be a space large enough unless you get into the fuge area. Also, I'm not quite understanding that angled algae thing.

Can you get another picture a little farther away? It is kind of hard for me to understand the layout.

It looks like the water comes in the top right, then flows along the top to the left and then hooks down to bottom left and goes back to the right for the return? Seems like that entire top section is a waste IMO.

Do you plan on running a skimmer? There doesn't look to be a space large enough unless you get into the fuge area. Also, I'm not quite understanding that angled algae thing.

Its a new concept that a group of reefers and our loca pet store have started. It has a very slight angle so the water trickles down; grows algae so that the water passes through the algae before it returns and is rid of more nitrates and etc. Its new to me but apparently very efficient.

I can maybe stick a skimmed in the return, but does that make sense to do? I always thought the skimmed should be BEFORE the bubble walls, but I don't have room :( unless I buy a smaller skimmed ... mine is BIG

Sounds like the same concept of an algae turf scrubber. Yea, you really don't want to put the Skimmer in that last section but with an ats I think you shouldn't need one. There is another on here that runs one very successfully.

Back
Top Bottom