Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
85gal Tank Buildup

hey all! "enough talk....it's smashing time!"

i'll be using this thread over the next few months to document the progress of this project, and i'll try to get pictures up as often as possible, but i don't have a good digital camera.

today marks day #1 of my stand/tank/canopy/lighting/reactor project.... most everything is DIY for this. i've been planning this for over two solid months, and not a day has gone by that i haven't reconsidered or modified some aspect. this is also the first time i have ever taken on a project of this magnitude, so wish me luck!

----- ----- -----

i just got back from the B.O.R.G. with a bunch of 2x4s and a couple pounds of decking screws, so i'm all set to start building the frame of the stand. it will be 55"L x 32"H x 19"D and modelled after Thaiboxer's stand (somewhat of a mod of the GARF stand.) i'm still not sure how it's going to be skinned because the decision of whether to paint or stain or poly is still up in the air. style is everything, you know.

the plans and cutsheets were drawn up earlier this week. i have eight 2x4s (roughly $2.50ea i think) which will accomodate all of the pieces needed. i spent a good portion of last night trying out different configurations for each board so as to minimize the number of boards needed, thus eliminating as much wasted wood as possible.

once the frame is completed, i'll upload a picture of it, including prices and cut sheets.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i finally picked up six bags of eco-complete today. considering the tank isn't even close to being completed it wasn't necessary to purchase now, but i got such a great deal on it that it was hard to pass up. the frame of the stand should be complete this saturday, so i'll try and get a picture or five up...

does anybody draw up aquascape plans and stick to them, or do you just put things in and start building as you go?

Old 03-16-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Sounds like a great deal! I did a similar buildup a while back, but didn't really include everything I should have. I'll definitely follow yours closely to see how things go. FWIW, I usually just start piling the rock in and moving it around until I get something I like the looks of. Stuff like this really helps the folks who are new to SW since they can see a step by step tank buildup. I'll be looking forward to seeing yours come together.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

this is FW, but hopefully some SW people can learn something about the construction, if nothing else.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i know there are a few options, but in general what kind of glass do i need to buy? the plans call for a pane 53"x17.25" at a thickness of 3/8". does it need to be tempered glass? what is the cost of PPG Starphire glass compared to regular glass? at 3/8" thickness, would starphire even be worth considering? TIA
Old 03-22-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

any input on the glass??
Old 04-03-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to fishNCovice Send a message via MSN to fishNCovice
try this site for getting an idea on what materials cost for any given state http://www.get-a-quote.net/default.htm

it is a site for contractors to estimate costs

hope it helps
Two Cory Cats
Nine Glass Shrimp

Two and a Half Gallon QT Tank
fishNCovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to fishNCovice Send a message via MSN to fishNCovice
try this site for getting an idea on what materials cost for any given state http://www.get-a-quote.net/default.htm

it is a site for contractors to estimate costs

hope it helps
Two Cory Cats
Nine Glass Shrimp

Two and a Half Gallon QT Tank
fishNCovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
if i could offer some advice and sorry if you know this already i didn't see any mention of this in your post.

thai and i started building our stands roughly the sametime (he started construction like week before me) but i suggest you plan for sealing the frame. after the frame is fully built, and you're satisified with how it turned out, either seal the wood with thompson's like thai did, or use polyurthane (that's what i choose, since i had a few quarts laying around). the actual skin of the stand should be sealed up too, but deffiently seal the frame, since that's doing all the work of supporting the tank and you don't want the boards to start rotting, or warping. i put 2 coats of polyurthane on my frame, (about 1/2 quart of polyurthane was used) and covered every square inch of the frame (wish i would have taken some pics... )
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the quote link. i'm still not sure what kind/type of glass i should be using. once i figure that out, i can budget that out and move on. is starphire worth the price at 3/8"? i don't know if it's all that necessary...

good advice jprox, thank you! i was planning on doing that this past week, but when i got to home depot, i realized i hadn't brought enough money to get the parts for my reactor, paint, and the sealer. so the sealer had to be left behind, but i'll pick it up this week for sure. are there any pros/cons to sealer and poly, or are they just about the same for this application?

http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do..._816_FM_170731 <-- that's the desk that is in the room. so for the stand i was hoping to go with 1/4" oak with a cherry stain and charcoal trim to make the deco of the room. sound good?

Tags
build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com