Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

90 gal in a wall - help a rookie member?

Hey folks. I'm new to your web site and looking forward to some great advice!
I presently have a 55 gal FW tank and have plans for building a 90 gal into a basement rec room wall in the next few months. I believe I have a pretty good handle on this project but if any of you have tackled this yourself I sure would like to hear from you. Specifically, any problems arise that were not expected? The tank will be housed in a laundry/furnace room with the front facing out to the rec room, therefore hiding equipment etc won't be an issue. All maintenance will be completed from the "rear".
Any pointers??? I don't need to be reminded of Murphy's Law with this project if I don't have to be.
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps you can give us some more specific plans?

Old 11-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on doing the same thing in my basement with a 90 gallon also. mine will be saltwater
Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-timer89
I plan on doing the same thing in my basement with a 90 gallon also. mine will be saltwater
Hey, perfect! First-timer89, you can be the guniea pig on this project and let me know all your mistakes! Kidding of course. I will be starting sometime in the winter so if I learn something that will help I will share it with you. Are you the handy type?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

BUMP*
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

are u still doing it?????????
Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a 225 in wall. There are a couple of pics in my gallery. Let me know if you have any specific ?'s
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am currently in the process of setting up an inwall tank. Here are the main steps.

- frame the wall ( create an opening for the tank at the desired level - Note - inwall installs look better when they are a little higher than normal) - See next step
- either build the stand as part of the wall or use existing stand (make sure it is strong enough to hold the size tank ) **Make sure it is all even and flat. Place minimum 5/8th plywood on top and to make sure the tank sits evenly place a 1/2in 'pink' dense insulation. This will make sure that the tank has contact where it sits. Uneven spots will be 'soaked' up. This will eliminate the possibiblity of the tank breaking/leaking due to uneccessary stress on uneven areas
- build canopy for tank. (either one that sits on top of tank or what I did is used some plywood and installed it on the wall with hinges on one side and chain on the other to hold it up.
- the rest is typical tank setup. Make sure you have an electrical outlet nearby to make things easier.

Sorry for the lack of details but ask if you need more.

Tags
wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com