90 gallon build/rebuild.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about just putting the media into a bucket or cheap plastic container with a powerhead to keep the water moving? Feed it some flake food every so often and that will feed the bacteria and should keep the media going. Granted, it isn't the same as keeping it going in a tank but it would be a big head start once the tank is up and running again even if in a couple months.

Good luck! I'm working on a DIY skimmer, which is not easy considering I know near nothing about plumbing :p

I'm using a maxijet 1200 to feed the water into the nozzle. I'm working on optimizing aeration so I can get some decent skimming going. But yea, I'm using PVC. Not using anything for the walling because it's going in a compartment in my in-tank sump.

Currently thinking about poking some holes in a close ended piece of PVC to get several small, very high pressure streams of water going at a slightly outward angle. Hopefully this will drive the bubbles up much easier. I may find the next revolution in protein skimming, haha.

Edit - my bad not just editing my previous post.

UPDATE: Sold my parrots and iridescent shark this evening now all I have left is my catfish. I may just take them down to the LFS when I get back into town on Monday. Then I'll drain my water and the fun begins!

So I have been looking around online at different Mbuna, here's what I have found that I like.

-Iodotropheus sprengerae ''Rusty'
-Pseudotropheus flavus
-Metriaclima estherae "Red Zebra"
-Metriaclima sp. "lime nkhomo"
-Pseudotropheus socolofi "snow white"

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

how about a biga$$ garage bin?? one from your local hardware store that has the attached lid. hey it even has wheels for ease of transport lol

Just finished draining the tank, now it's it's time to scoop out the sand and let it dry out so I can start cleaning it out. Anyone have any tips on how to get all the residue off?

I ended up buying a garbage bin seems like it should work pretty well, I started striping the silicone tonight. It's taking forever! It's super thick in a couple of spots.

Got almost all the silicone out of the seams last night I'll finish that up today and they start cleaning the glass so I can Reline all the silicone and see if it still holds water.

After much research I have decided to use Sika top 107 to coat my background in stead of drylock or concrete. It's nontoxic and safe to use in potable water sources. It's a little more money but I feel safer using it.

I'll post some pictures as soon as they do an update to support IPhone uploads.

I just got done putting in the new silicone with mixed results. Half of it seemed to turn out pretty well the other half started to get "chunky" I am guessing I didn't smooth it out fast enough
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
Ill let it dry for for 24 and see what it looks like and post pictures. I really hope it holds water. I can always have the ugly side covered by the background. For now I am fairly frustrated and a little dizzy from the fumes.

Looks like it is holding up. Some bowing going on from the water but not too bad. Love how you cut the lid so you can close it. Nice floors! :)

That's why I went with the garbage can over a rubbermade tote the sides bow out less. My fear was leaking around the wheels but it holds water and it's been a few days now.

Looking at that trash can it looks like the kind that has a solid bottom and the wheels go through a separately molded section so that should be fine. The only thing that would concern me is if it leaches any chemicals into the water if it isn't designed to hold food items.

I have been looking into trash cans myself and was going to get two brute cans because they are supposed to be food safe... but wouldn't know what to test for myself to see if anything is getting into the water.

I pretty sure it will be fine and wont leach anything, we use all kinds of different plastic containers in this hobby and not all of them are "food safe".

I just got done putting in the new silicone with mixed results. Half of it seemed to turn out pretty well the other half started to get "chunky" I am guessing I didn't smooth it out fast enough
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
Ill let it dry for for 24 and see what it looks like and post pictures.

img_1353145_1_683f130843b6ca5594879e0d5e62f162.jpg

Excuse the dirty glass I only cleaned where the silicone was going so i could fill it up and scrub it out.

Back
Top Bottom