Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ended up buying a garbage bin seems like it should work pretty well, I started striping the silicone tonight. It's taking forever! It's super thick in a couple of spots.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got almost all the silicone out of the seams last night I'll finish that up today and they start cleaning the glass so I can Reline all the silicone and see if it still holds water.

After much research I have decided to use Sika top 107 to coat my background in stead of drylock or concrete. It's nontoxic and safe to use in potable water sources. It's a little more money but I feel safer using it.

I'll post some pictures as soon as they do an update to support IPhone uploads.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got done putting in the new silicone with mixed results. Half of it seemed to turn out pretty well the other half started to get "chunky" I am guessing I didn't smooth it out fast enough Ill let it dry for for 24 and see what it looks like and post pictures. I really hope it holds water. I can always have the ugly side covered by the background. For now I am fairly frustrated and a little dizzy from the fumes.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
how about a biga$$ garage bin?? one from your local hardware store that has the attached lid. hey it even has wheels for ease of transport lol
Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like it is holding up. Some bowing going on from the water but not too bad. Love how you cut the lid so you can close it. Nice floors!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I went with the garbage can over a rubbermade tote the sides bow out less. My fear was leaking around the wheels but it holds water and it's been a few days now.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking at that trash can it looks like the kind that has a solid bottom and the wheels go through a separately molded section so that should be fine. The only thing that would concern me is if it leaches any chemicals into the water if it isn't designed to hold food items.

I have been looking into trash cans myself and was going to get two brute cans because they are supposed to be food safe... but wouldn't know what to test for myself to see if anything is getting into the water.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pretty sure it will be fine and wont leach anything, we use all kinds of different plastic containers in this hobby and not all of them are "food safe".
Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
I just got done putting in the new silicone with mixed results. Half of it seemed to turn out pretty well the other half started to get "chunky" I am guessing I didn't smooth it out fast enough Ill let it dry for for 24 and see what it looks like and post pictures.

Excuse the dirty glass I only cleaned where the silicone was going so i could fill it up and scrub it out.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fixed my messy silicone job on the one side, used gloves this time and it turned out loads better.

Tags
90 gallon, build, rebuild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com