90 gallon build/rebuild.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just have to more rocks to add to hide the spray bars and do some detail painting and I am done! All is left then paint the trim, redo the stand, clean out the tank and order my glass!

Attachments

• image-2396385301.jpg
    image-2396385301.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 181
  • image-4135575298.jpg
    image-4135575298.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 211
Here's a couple of pictures from my first round of detail painting.

Attachments

• image-459023034.jpg
    image-459023034.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1948922363.jpg
    image-1948922363.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 164
Don't lie, you trashed the foam and picked out some rocks. ;)Looking good.

Dude that looks amazing, how did you manage to get it so perfect?

:thanks:

One of my buddies taught me how to layer paint to achieve the desired look. It was nerve racking painting it after all that work because i didn't want to mess anything up. I have 2-3 more detail layers to add.

Just need to add one more layer, I'm not sure if I like the brown, may have added to much.

Attachments

• image-400462893.jpg
    image-400462893.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2271275983.jpg
    image-2271275983.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 152
  • image-2650223345.jpg
    image-2650223345.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 138
I bet, every step further just makes any mess-up that much bigger. Just don't get ahead of yourself and you'll be ok;) lookin great

I bet, every step further just makes any mess-up that much bigger. Just don't get ahead of yourself and you'll be ok;) lookin great

I have a dry brush layer that needs to go over the brown-red. That will break it up which is why I am having such a hang up about it i think.

This looks amazing! Congratulations! You have been my source of inspiration and helpful information resource. I am getting of my procrastinating arse today and starting my background today. I too am using a canister filter that I want to build into the background much the same as you. I have a question regarding the hiding of the intake tubing, did you or do I have to worry very much about the exposure of the filter intake strainer? From your pictures you have hidden it perfectly and I want to emulate your expertise.

After much research I have decided to use Sika top 107 to coat my background in stead of drylock or concrete. It's nontoxic and safe to use in potable water sources. It's a little more money but I feel safer using it.

Oh one more question, I see your using Sika top 107. I had planned to use quickrete and then the last coat being Sika but I am having a great deal of trouble finding it anywhere near me so I was wondering if the Waterproof Quickrete would be a suitable substitution? Or would it not make a difference whether it was the Waterproof stuff or the regular quickrete, it would still have to be sealed? And if so, any suggestions on a sealer as I get a lot of queer looks when I am asking about pond sealers for some reason.

MrBones said:
This looks amazing! Congratulations! You have been my source of inspiration and helpful information resource. I am getting of my procrastinating arse today and starting my background today. I too am using a canister filter that I want to build into the background much the same as you. I have a question regarding the hiding of the intake tubing, did you or do I have to worry very much about the exposure of the filter intake strainer? From your pictures you have hidden it perfectly and I want to emulate your expertise.

Thanks man I am glad I could provide information and inspire you. It has been a long and stressful journey for me because with all the time and money I have invested In this project.

My filter intake strainer is a PVC endcap with holes drilled in it so it wont get plugged like a mesh would. I carved down in the backboard and made a "cave" in the backboard for the intake strainer then put "rocks" on the top and bottom of the "cave" to hide it.

Sika 107 is worth the pain of trying to find IMO. I am not sure about the waterproof concrete, it may have extra chemicals in it so you may be better off just using normal concrete and letting it cure or sealing it all with a marine epoxy when it's all done.

Back
Top Bottom