90gal tank stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
1519464_10152251053425477_1032468285_o.jpg

So with my wifes sister BF getting a tank and willing to buy the fish I love (giving me the bulk of them as they are hard to find and end up getting ordered in bulk) I find I have to move fast on a stand for my 90gal tank that's just been sitting here teasing me. I plan on using 2X4 hemlock for the strong aspect and the cost isn't much more than pine. the above plans call for a total of 3 cuts (legs(29 inches), length(51.5 inches) and short(18.5 inches) since I don't have a good saw I figure HD or lowes can cut it for me :angel: but I think I'm missing something, numbers are not good to me. oh, tank is 48.5 by 18.5

Biggest issue I see is the tank will be held up by screws in shear verses the load be carried by a board in compression.

Here's plans from a 55 a did you could change the dimensions and add center support accordingly.

5MBLUBA.jpg

hey guys I may be off (nothing new), but in mine the legs go from top to bottom and would be holding the weight, where as in the one you posted it shows the legs ending on 2X4's top and bottom (outside of the one brace on the inside that doesn't run the full length).. I think part of the confusion on my drawling is its not very good :( and doesn't show the top 2X4's laying on their side over the top of the legs very well.

Even if you have 2x4s laying "flat" on the top, on top of the legs, the weight is still being transferred to the frame box on the floor via a few screws, and if you don't have those uprights *exactly* identical, you could have a situation where one leg is taller than the other, which would be a Very Bad Thing (TM).

By having the vertical supports sitting between the top and bottom frames, all of the weight is borne by the legs, and transferred to/from the horizontal pieces uniformly. The piece shown on the inside is a screw strip, just used for initial stabilization. It's a long thread, but a good one.

hey guys I may be off (nothing new), but in mine the legs go from top to bottom and would be holding the weight, where as in the one you posted it shows the legs ending on 2X4's top and bottom (outside of the one brace on the inside that doesn't run the full length).. I think part of the confusion on my drawling is its not very good :( and doesn't show the top 2X4's laying on their side over the top of the legs very well.

On mine I ran the green pieces all the way to the top, then screwed the outside uprights to them. Weight being held by outside uprights.

It's real secure

bJaarUD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom