A better way to cover openings in my hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I finally came across an African Butterfly Fish. I brought it home, got it acclimated, and set him free. Then I read online about how these fish can leap up to six feet! They made it clear that any openings in the hood should be sealed off, since these fish have leaped right out of the tank before. I recently upgraded my hang-on filter to a canister filter, so I have a lot of unnecessary openings now.

To quickly get everything sealed off, I used lightweight clear plastic from an old cheap poster frame that I didn't use anymore. I took all of the measurements and cut out the pieces with scissors and taped them to the openings. Here are a few photos:

img_966805_0_b7955e05d1645174f1f0bc143f209819.jpg

img_966805_1_55a982b7be8ced1e5affe99b51778618.jpg

I think it will certainly do for now, but it looks pretty nasty. Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure everything is sealed, yet looks half-way decent? Is there a material like this that they can cut at like a Lowes or Home Depot that would look a little better and not so home made?

Eh, I might just have to get a new hood all together. :(

You could try some acrylic or polycarbonate from like home depot. Or you could try something like duckweed or salinia as a deterrent from jumping.

That actually might work. I have a buddy who can cut acrylic with a laser engraver he has...

Good idea! Thanks.

I agree with ezy33 abs plastic pipe sounds good and would look clean and neat, and you could cut youre plastic pipe down in half and use each half to cover youre openings. all you have to do is notch out where youre wiring passes and hoses.... if you feel that it would trap in to much heat just drill small holes for some heat to escape.....

it would prob look much better if you tape or glue it from the underside.

You can also buy a glass lid for your tank. It keeps a better seal and has that piece of plastic that you are talking about. I find that the water evaporates much slower with a glass hood than with the black plastic ones. The one I bought for my 55 gallon was around $25 for both pieces and I just had to replace one of the ones on my 120 gallon and it was $26 so not too expensive and in my opinion they look much better than the plastic hoods.

Back
Top Bottom