Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

A better way to cover openings in my hood?

So today I finally came across an African Butterfly Fish. I brought it home, got it acclimated, and set him free. Then I read online about how these fish can leap up to six feet! They made it clear that any openings in the hood should be sealed off, since these fish have leaped right out of the tank before. I recently upgraded my hang-on filter to a canister filter, so I have a lot of unnecessary openings now.

To quickly get everything sealed off, I used lightweight clear plastic from an old cheap poster frame that I didn't use anymore. I took all of the measurements and cut out the pieces with scissors and taped them to the openings. Here are a few photos:

I think it will certainly do for now, but it looks pretty nasty. Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure everything is sealed, yet looks half-way decent? Is there a material like this that they can cut at like a Lowes or Home Depot that would look a little better and not so home made?

Eh, I might just have to get a new hood all together.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
You could try some acrylic or polycarbonate from like home depot. Or you could try something like duckweed or salinia as a deterrent from jumping.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

That actually might work. I have a buddy who can cut acrylic with a laser engraver he has...

Good idea! Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
You could use some black ABS plastic, it would look more like the plastic on your hoods and is easier to cut.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree with ezy33 abs plastic pipe sounds good and would look clean and neat, and you could cut youre plastic pipe down in half and use each half to cover youre openings. all you have to do is notch out where youre wiring passes and hoses.... if you feel that it would trap in to much heat just drill small holes for some heat to escape.....
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it would prob look much better if you tape or glue it from the underside.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Black ABS plastic comes in sheets that has a texture on one side. If you can find a plastic shop in your area They usually have a scrap bin.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can also buy a glass lid for your tank. It keeps a better seal and has that piece of plastic that you are talking about. I find that the water evaporates much slower with a glass hood than with the black plastic ones. The one I bought for my 55 gallon was around $25 for both pieces and I just had to replace one of the ones on my 120 gallon and it was $26 so not too expensive and in my opinion they look much better than the plastic hoods.

Tags
cover, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com