A big tank instead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Moved by corvus to DIY, not really a pond issue.

I'm not really going to build a pond. Just a pretty big tank instead. Probably about 400-600 gal in my basement for african rift lake cichlids.
Right now they are in my 55 and are juveniles. Eventually they will outgrow this tank and I also would like to add several more fish to the group.

My questions are more about filtration hardware for the most part. I was wondering my options were for a tank this size.

I won't be building this tank for about a year, so I figure now is the time to start researching the subject.

Thanks[/i]

Then you will probably want to post in either the freshwater or saltwater forums, I know alot about ponds, but nothing about cichlids. I would recommend posting there.

As a freshie keeping cichlids (Africans).. It might help to compare cichlids to koi, but averaging 5 to 10 inches and maybe 2/3rds as much waste. Depending on species. They're a fairly messy fish, but not on the level of koi or goldfish.

My questions aren't about building the tank itself, I was just wondering what type of filtration would be used on a tank that size.
It's not like I could use a HOB filter on it. And somehow I don't think that 6 Fluval 404's are what I want either.
I figured that the pond people would be able to direct me to the larger volume filtration/pump systems.

you might consider building your own filtration system. i've seen it done out of acrylic, but i have no need for something that large, so i haven't looked into it much. i think you'd need a couple good pumps and a large box with a few chambers for mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration. on a small scale, that's how i've seen it done and i believe it should be the same for a huge tank like that. the biggest issue is getting a pump large enough to move 2000 - 3000 gph...that's beyond my knowledge at this point.

Okay, being a pond guy, I can definetly help you on this. I can direct you as far as what types of pumps and filters are good for Koi, and since they produce more waste than Cichlids, I think we can take care of ya :) What size tank?

Sorry, missed the 400-600 gallon tank at the wayyyy beginning... lol

So anyways, when a customer would come in with something like that, I would tell them one phrase to keep in mind. More is better. This is not always true with alot of pond things, but that size, with fish who produce almost as much waste as Koi, I would recommend a 1200 gallon per hour pump, double the tank size in GPH. If you want more, sump pumps will be your best bet.What type of tank are you going to use? Is it going to be want to be viewable and aesthetically pleasing? If so, Sump systems will be your best bet, and for that, consult the freshwater forum. I can help with things that can be disguised by plants, as most pumps can be concealed by pond plants, but in an aquarium, its tough to do without grinding the plants to shreds. However, either way, for filtration for that much water, I would highly recommend the Cyprio Bioforce System with UVC. I use them for all of my customers, and they reduce maintenance, algae, and among other things, parasites. But let me know. We can go from there.

I'm still in the planning stages at this point. I won't actually have a need for about a year to a year and a half.

Hard to explain what I am thinking, but...

At this point I am considering building the tank (acrylic) with another structure/frame that fits over top of it. Kind of like a mask...

Picture this...

A 500 gal acrylic aquarium on a 1 foot high stand. Overtop of this fits a frame with a ledge that does not actually touch the aquarium at all and can support itself and much more. It will have 3 sides that go from ledge to floor but will leave the front open. The ledge will most likely be wood about a foot wide and be able to support an ample amount of weight. I suppose it is best to describe it as a small above ground pool with a cut-a-way view.

Maybe a waterfall on one side for aeration. Not sure what to do for lighting at this point.

Like I said though, this is at least a year away from now and I have plenty of time for new ideas, plans, and research. This is just my thoughts at this point.

Thanks for your offer to help.

here are 2 pictures describing what I'd like to do.
(done with "paint", while at work, so don't laugh...)

the first is simply the tank, the second is the tank with the border/ledge

oops...

looks like it posted the pictures in the opposite order that I attached them in...

first picture is with frame
second is just the tank

remember that the frame and tank don't even touch. it's more of a partial enclosure. will probably have a waterfall on at least one edge. just need to figure out how to light it...

thanks for any ideas...

deli_conker said:
(done with "paint", while at work, so don't laugh...)

posting from WORK!!

SHAME, SHAME! I can tell you that I have never done that, and furthermore, yak yak yak....

Oh wait I am posting this from work. LOL

Some underwater pool type lights would be very cool in that thing, IMO.

Looks like the acrylic is going to be pretty expensive.

BUT...

I saw in an earlier post where somebody mentioned something called sani-tred or something like that. It looks like some sort of goop that you put in a container that when it cures becomes kinda like a water proof liner.

I remember checking out the site and they took a wicker basket and put a coat of the stuff on the inside. Then they filled it with water. If I remember right, it was aquarium safe...

This has me thinking about the fact that plywood is a lot cheaper than acrylic. I'm thinking about doing the base, sides and back in plywood coated with this stuff. That would leave the front to be done in acrylic.

Does anybody have any experience with either sani-tred or plywood/acrylic aquariums?

Back
Top Bottom