Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

My current setup is similar to yours Cmor. My tank now I only have about 4" clearance from the wall, but I can stick my arm back there from the sides. I think I will be ok with this project, but it definitely is a concern in my head now. I like to clean my back and side glass so coralline doesnt grow on it, which is already a pain ..... this setup would make it a real big pain. I wouldnt even be able to use the magnetic scraper anymore for the sides and back.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats why I was saying have doors on hinges on the sides, then you would have access to the sides, just not the back.

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Yeah, I didnt see your last long post, you were probably typing it the same time as I was typing mine. I always had the hinge to swing open top part, idea in mind. But doing that on the sides or like you mentioned about puttng the tank to one side and making a "door" on the other side could be a good idea. That would give me about 13" and I could squeeze through there. That would also give me incentive to never get fat.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
That would give me about 13" and I could squeeze through there. That would also give me incentive to never get fat.
There ya go, motivation, lol

That would give you some kind of access to the back at least on 1 side, but you would give up the other side. Its a hard call. I'm sure you'll figure out whats best for you.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

You are putting a 72 inch tank in a 90" hole. That gives you 9" clearance on each side. Plenty of room to reach in with a magnetic scraper. I never scrape the back wall. That's allowed to get covered with coraline. I like that look.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I thought I would add my $.02 to the discussion. A couple of questions first.

1. Is this a concrete floor?
2. How often is your spare bedroom used?
3. will you be moving in the next 2-5 years?

If this is not a concrete floor and you have a basement below you will need to look at bracing the floor. 180g tank = a lot of weight. If you do have a basement below then you don't have to worry too much about the space around and under the tank you could have everything below the tank. If this is a concrete floor then you are golden with the weight issue.

If you don't plan to move anytime soon and your spare bedroom is like most people's (use about 3 times a year) then I would strongly suggest putting the double doors behind the tank.

I know everyone has said you don't need much room you can squeeze etc.. Look I have a 4' tank and it is 8" off the wall and all that space is taken up with plumbing. Now I know you are looking at a RR tank but believe me when you need to get to the center of a 6' tank with only 9" of squeeze room you will be wishing those doors were there. Having access behind the tank will make your life so much easier.

Like I said just my $.02.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

1. Yes it is concrete floor with nothing but earth below the concrete, so I am good there.
2. Rarely every used like you said maybe 3 times a year.
3. Most likely I won't be moving in the next 2-5 years. I bought this house new 3-years ago and the market in CA is not good, like many other places in the country. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to move I wouldn't for at least 2-5 years because I will probably be upside down on the house until then.

I don't know what those doors would do to resale of the house, they would be kind of weird to anybody except us. Maybe I will just keep the TV where it is and when I get the 180, put it along the same wall as the 75 is now.

Tonight I will get exact measurements of the lenth and depth. If it is deep enough, which I don't think it is.... maybe I could crawl underneath the tank right next to the sump and pop up behind the tank. Not likely though.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know what those doors would do to resale of the house, they would be kind of weird to anybody except us. Maybe I will just keep the TV where it is and when I get the 180, put it along the same wall as the 75 is now.

You could put in full length doors and turn the niche into a closet when you go to sell...just a thought

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
1. Yes it is concrete floor with nothing but earth below the concrete, so I am good there.
2. Rarely every used like you said maybe 3 times a year.
3. Most likely I won't be moving in the next 2-5 years. I bought this house new 3-years ago and the market in CA is not good, like many other places in the country. Unfortunately, even if I wanted to move I wouldn't for at least 2-5 years because I will probably be upside down on the house until then.

Tonight I will get exact measurements of the lenth and depth. If it is deep enough, which I don't think it is.... maybe I could crawl underneath the tank right next to the sump and pop up behind the tank. Not likely though.
Nobody said you had to have the front of the tank flush with the walls. You could always bump it out a little maybe 6" or so giving yourself more room behind the tank. I have seen setups like that and with the cabinets built around the tank and some of the sides exposed it served as a nice effect.

Or you could go with the closet idea in the spare as we suggested above.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyami View Post
I have just a 55gal and it's up against a wall, there only about 2 inches between it and the wall.

Everytime I do something with the tank I am mumbling under my breath about how I wish I could get to the other side and have more room. It is much easier when you can get to all of your plumbing and have room to work with.
I managed to do the exact same thing and am cursing myself. I will know better when I upgrade.

As for my own 2 cents, I would put an access panel of some sorts in the wall. Not sure how handy you are with sheet rock but if you save what you cut out from the sheet rock, it can easily be put back and patched when you move.

Tags
project, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com