A few DIY questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, I completely agree with jsoong and JProx about planted fuges as filters, provided there are plants in the main tank. Respectfully, I think there are a couple of good reasons to run a planted fuge, even with high light main tanks. Since we are dosing nutrients to total water volume anyway, why not throw, at worst, a desklamp or two down there and grow out stuff or provide plant shelter for a breeding colony of shrimp or something? It is certainly unnecessary, but still interesting and only limited by imagination. Cheap to mess around with, too. :)

I have no experience with brackish, but think it could be cool to breed something in there for food. Alternatively, you could put brackish-compatible plants down there to adapt, if for some reason (say, the cost of lighting for the main) you do not want to do it in the main tank. If the main has rowdy animals, you could attach java ferns to rocks and stuff down there before transfering them over. Just thoughts.

well the main reason I was toying with the idea of a planted fuge is due to the fact that I LOVE sharks. I have a black shark and a school of rainbow sharks. I am building the 45 gal for these fish as they are in a 10 gal right now :cry: and in a few months I will prolly be building a larger tank due to the black shark. so I would really like plants so I don't have to do water changes as much but since the black shark will eat just about anything I put in there (he eats just about any vegitables out of my hand) I was thinking a planted fuge. I was also thinking about the carbon/ zeolite filter on the return line to help with cycling the tank. I was also wondering what is considered brackish? I have 1 tsp. to every 5 gals. I really water my fish to be happy. I really don't care if I have to have a million differant filters that are semi-effective. My fish are spoiled :wink:

Back
Top Bottom