Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
A little extra cooling..

I was unhappy with how warm the PC light I have gets, It's probably normal and safe but I doubt adding more cooling will cause any negative effects.

Basically: All I did was get a small cardboard box, cut out the top and bottom, press fit a computer fan into the opening at the top, tape it up a bit, and connect the wires to a wall transformer. It pulls out a pretty decent amount of hot air from the vent holes in the fixture. I'm now pleased.

Here's the pics!

I may paint the box black or something to make it less noticeable

For one, this fan is soo much quieter than the two mini ones inside the fixture, and also this fan will be on no matter what, meaning cooling for when the daylight bulbs are on (for some reason the fixture fans only go on with the actinics..? ) And the new fan will help cool it down after it goes off too.

I love random projects like these! lol

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Adapt and overcome,

Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been wanting to do the same thing to my tank. Not so much because of the lights, but because my livingroom (where the tank is) can get pretty hot in the summer. And, of course, that raises the water temp.. My wife (the air conditioner nazi!) turns of the a.c. when I'm not home.
Based on what you wrote, it seems like you have the fan facing out. Is this to draw out the heat from the lights? I guess in my case I would face the fan in, to draw in cooler air? Or should I do the same as you?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns286 View Post
I have been wanting to do the same thing to my tank. Not so much because of the lights, but because my livingroom (where the tank is) can get pretty hot in the summer. And, of course, that raises the water temp.. My wife (the air conditioner nazi!) turns of the a.c. when I'm not home.
Based on what you wrote, it seems like you have the fan facing out. Is this to draw out the heat from the lights? I guess in my case I would face the fan in, to draw in cooler air? Or should I do the same as you?
Yes, I have the fan pulling cool air in through one vent (other side of fixture, there are two small crappy fans that are stock on the fixture.) then blowing it out.

Well, If you have a fixture like mine (one or two vents on each end) You could build two fan assembly's, have one pushing cool air in and the other pulling warm air out. Wire them to a 9VDC wall transformer and you'll be good to go! lol

Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOAH! I can't believe how silent it is now!! The "quiet one" pump is louder! LOL

-very happy-

Old 08-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Well for computers, if you had to have one fan, you'd choose one exhaust, so I'd assume it'd be the same for drawing heat from lights.

Is there any reason for the cardboard to be there? I'd imagine that the closer the fan is to the light, the more air that would be pumped out. Possibly suction?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
Well for computers, if you had to have one fan, you'd choose one exhaust, so I'd assume it'd be the same for drawing heat from lights.

Is there any reason for the cardboard to be there? I'd imagine that the closer the fan is to the light, the more air that would be pumped out. Possibly suction?
Well, there are two vent holes (like 1"x1") that are about an inch apart. The 80mm fan wouldn't work as effectively if I put it directly on the vents. This way it makes sort of a "duct" that sucks air through both of the vents. And there is some suction, The vents on the opposite side of the light have air being sucked in even with the stock fans off.

gotta love DIY.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Maybe a bit much?

Anyways, the duct does make more sense now :P.

I always thought these were interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 AM   #9
is back to save the day!

I want that computer cooling system. Looks beast.

Anyways, pp5, awesome idea, and depending on how cool my light runs, im gonna do the same. Great job and great idea.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry for the delay in writing back. My computer is messed up and I cant get on all of the time.
I have a stock, came with the tank, light for my 75g. I was thinking about making vent holes in the tank lid and setting up the fans over them. What do you think?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com