A pretty cool idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is not a very big project, but its really cool. I discovered (well i bet a lot of others have done it before me) that it works really cool to make your own backround for a tank. I took butcher paper and cut it to the size of my small aquarium, then used magazine clippings from tropical fish hobbyist to make a collage. It looks pretty cool. I also had just the normal butcher paper as a backround on another tank, which looks very good to itself. It is just a solid white backround and the shadows of the ripples look really sweet. Plus it only took about 5 minutes.

I'll get some pics, i dont have a digital camera or scanner so mabie ill just buy a disposable one and at the store i think they have a place where you can scan your pictures and take them home on a disk, otherwise ill just go to a friends. Ill get some stuff up as soon as possible though.

is butcher paper like wax paper? or is it the same thing? or different? :bulb:

Backgrounds...

You Know that colored foil background that some fish stores sell. Flower shops use the same sort of thing to wrap their flower pots and will sell it to you a bit cheaper most of the time. You could also take a picture of your favorite fish and blow it up and use that as a background. My favorite type of background is something that looks like cliffs...

I took a piece of oak tag, and put a piece of colored tissue paper over it. Light light blueish. then I cut out shapes, fish, etc from darker colored tissue paper and glued that on. Let it dry and hung it on the back of the tank. It looks really neat.

I was thinking of painting the back of my tank with acrylic paints, the colorful ones that you can get at an art store. Maybe starting at the bottom with a deep navy blue and working upward to a light blue/green.

don't forget about good 'ol aluminum foil ... go to a dollar store, ~$1 gets you enough to do several tanks, or one huge tank ... get the 'heavy duty' kind that is like 18" wide ...

I crumple it into a ball, then unfold and tape up ... more crumplings = more wrinkles ... makes a neat effect, as ripples from the surface try to shine out the back of the tank (from lighting angle) they get reflected back into / through the tank

you can try it without wrinkles, but I think it looks kinda like a half-assed mirror that way, not artsy enough :)

Back
Top Bottom