A tank in a tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just had a thought. If I managed to get a big big tank I've been offered, then decided to do some breeding, would my little tank be able to be placed inside the big tank with a lid onto which allowed the fry to pass through but not the adults, which in turn would mean I could actually see the little fish without having to look through a net?

Any thoughts on this? :D

What kind of fish are you looking at to breed? There's no reason this couldn't be done. Sticking a tank inside a tank is like sticking a decoration into a tank. That might make some difference too as far as eggs falling downward into an area adults can't get to, but with adults on the outside, there is no guarantee the baby fish will make their way into the smaller tank. You might be better off with Java Moss and decorations for hiding places.

There's no reason this couldn't be done. Sticking a tank inside a tank is like sticking a decoration into a tank.

Not exactly, there are some issues with the prospect. How does the tank stay submerged? How much water from the big tank would the OP be willing to sacrifice due to displacement (if you were to say, glue down the smaller tank)?

This is one of the many reasons breeding nets, isolation tanks and tank dividers were invented. :)

The tank would stay submerged because it was filled with.....water? Just like you don't need to tie down the tank on your table the water would more than hold down the tank. Displacement also would be extremely minimal because its just the glass/acrylic that is displacing the water.

My understanding of the OP's post was to put a smaller tank inside a larger tank, allowing the water to travel between the two, but having some type of closed top with holes small enough for fry/eggs to travel back and forth but not allow the larger inhabitants to get inside. This is a very unique idea IMO, and would very cool if done with contrasting colors (say PFS in the small tank and black substrate in the main tank).

It's basically just a breeder net/tank that doesn't float...

7Enigma said:
The tank would stay submerged because it was filled with.....water? Just like you don't need to tie down the tank on your table the water would more than hold down the tank. Displacement also would be extremely minimal because its just the glass/acrylic that is displacing the water.

My understanding of the OP's post was to put a smaller tank inside a larger tank, allowing the water to travel between the two, but having some type of closed top with holes small enough for fry/eggs to travel back and forth but not allow the larger inhabitants to get inside. This is a very unique idea IMO, and would very cool if done with contrasting colors (say PFS in the small tank and black substrate in the main tank).

It's basically just a breeder net/tank that doesn't float...

Yep, that's what I meant... :D

My biggest concern would be water movement and filtration.
I don't think that the water in the inner tank would be turned over very efficiently - you would primarily be depending upon simple diffusion for wastes to exit the inner tank and be swept away by the outer tank's filter. The solution may be two filtration systems - the regular filter for the outer tank, and a supplemental sponge or corner filter inside the inner tank.

Another issue to think about is cleaning - you'd have alot of glass surfaces for algae and diatoms to make home.

Back
Top Bottom