Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tried the balloon trick. It didn't have enough pressure in the morning to push the co2 through the diffuser. But am still trying different things.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

A rig set up like this can't build pressure as long as the balloon can expand, and once the balloon can't expand it breaks. You need to run it into a powerhead, filter, or some other setup that doesn't require pressure.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had it that way before but had to remove the powerhead due to my new stock not being able to handle that much current. I did though end up working a different way out with multiple t connectors check valves and single in &out gang valves.but it now builds enough pressure and can shut it off at night without loosing too much pressure at night
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never had any problems with the balloon reducing pressure in the line. Of course I have it hooked up to a power head intake. I just open the check valve all the way and the CO2 comes gushing out. I then close the valve about halfway to reduce how much is getting into the tank. If I leave it all the way open my fish start gasping for air. You can also gently squeeze the balloon and it will get the flow started.

Try adding a sponge to the outflow. That is what i had to do. Otherwise it knocked the fish around. Here are some pictures of how I am diffusing the CO2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2diffuser (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	169373   Click image for larger version

Name:	diffuserupclose (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	169374  

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had mine running into a power bit had to remove due to reason stated above and I needed it switched to my 55 as a circulation pump then put into the intake of my filstar bit my wife didn't want any rubber or soft plastic parts getting eaten up by the co2 so I bought a glass diffuser added an extra bottle and plasiwelded all my connecters to the caps and it works like a charm.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update on system. Found out that the 2 way diverter valves will not hold up to the CO2. The hard plastic fell apart at the outlet that the CO2 passes through. I did find another way to slow down or shut off the flow though. It is a pinch control that is used on I.V.s in hospitals. It goes over the tubing not inside it. I
found this on an online aquarium supplies site. It was $13 though. I did a quick internet search and found them on Amazon for $5. I am going to order a couple of these and try them out. I also am ordering some inline air control valves and see how that works. Right now I am using a close pin to pinch the tubing to control the flow. Can't get any more red neck than that. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valvesystem.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	170254  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi
Do not use silicone tubing but use clear high pressure tubing.
Regards
Simon Yee

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com