? About Denitrator Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herndo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was looking at the plans over on aloha.net

http://www.aloha.net/~hqf/indexdondenitrator.htm

I was wondering what the dimensions for this are. Anybody made one or use one? What kind of cylinder is needed. A large PVC pipe maybe?

Also, let me make sure I have this right. This is a sealed unit with a powerhead in the sump pumping water to the input of the cylinder. First, what would make the water drip if a powerhead is pushing it and second, how does the water make it back to the sump?

Thanks.

Any tube would work as long as it can handle enough tubing. I have read it takes up to 200 ft of tubing to deplete the oxygen. The one pump from the sump will push the water through it and out to the tank or sump. You would use a valve to regulate the drip rate. The site you showed above stated to use an air valve after the unit to regulate the flow.

I'm just wondering

what pushes the water back to the sump. I understand if the pump is pushing water through the hose full force presure will build up in the cylinder and eventually force the water back through the other tube and into the sump. But if the water is just dripping, will the pressure ever build up enough to push the water back up? I'm just having trouble picturing this thing dripping into the cylinder and being able to force the water back up the other tube. Maybe it depends on where you place the device but if it's on the floor it still has to go up to get over the edge of the sump. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

You let it into the cylinder at full force and drip it after it leaves the unit. the valve should be between the unit and the sump (return side). This drip after will slow down the flow in the entire unit and the pressure will build even more.

SUMP-to-PUMP-to-UNIT-to-VALVE-to-SUMP

Thanks for clearing that up...

So, you say you've heard 200" of tube is needed. I wonder how long that wold make the cylinder using 6" pvc. I guess I need to get the tubing first and find out.

I am trying to racall where I saw that info about 200 ft of tubing. I remember it did say "up to 200 ft" may be needed and 100 ft is required but I cant be sure about the numbers- sorry. I will check around and see if I can find the info again

Back
Top Bottom