Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

? about my sump overflowing

Ok so I have my rubbermaid Sump all ready to go. On a lot of videos ive watched ive heard they say something about drilling a small hole in your plumbing somewhere to prevent overflow when the power goes out. No do i drill that hole above or below the water line, and do i drill it on the return line or the intake line? thanks

Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

In a normal setup the hole is drilled in the return line just below the normal water level. When the power goes and the tank begins to drain into the sump the siphon will be broken when the level hits the hole and break the siphon.

As I remember it you went with a DIY setup.. so I can't speak to how your setup may drain/back drain in a power loss for sure.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drill it on the overflow line below the waterline in the display tank.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
In a normal setup the hole is drilled in the return line just below the normal water level. When the power goes and the tank begins to drain into the sump the siphon will be broken when the level hits the hole and break the siphon.

As I remember it you went with a DIY setup.. so I can't speak to how your setup may drain/back drain in a power loss for sure.
Yep its a normal setup, just instead of using an aquarium i used a bug plastic bin lol. Thanks for the info btw!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be sure to drill two holes. One opposite the other in case a snail happens to be blocking one of those holes when the power goes off.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol does that actually happen?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....

It's a risk/reward proposition.. How many holes shall I drill? The profesionals will tell you to take the number of snails you have divide it by 7.25 then multiply by your specific gravity then multiply that by the number of days you feed (doubled). Then take that number multiply by the number of snails you have (round down) and add 1.

You got snails that could clog it, crap from your tank, algae, etc.... 2 is a safeguard but no guarantee. Unless you want the math behind the guarantee too.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahaha ha. to funny. Great advise....It only happen to you!!!!!!!!!!!! and your tank...
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

on mine i just fastened my water return line so that is just at the surface, i had it well into it at first, and while messing with it i unplugged it and it definately started back siphoning very quickly! putting just at the surface seemed to remedy this... if you put holes in it won't it spray out?

i just set up my first sump three days ago, so i can't say i know much yet. works very simply though once i got it set up.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Thanx but no.....

" if you put holes in it won't it spray out"?

under
the water.. the water level will never get below it unless the tank is draining...and in that case the water is flowing out and not being forced in...

Tags
flow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com