? about pH changes due to cement on my 3d background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmysparks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i have an established tank i am going to decorate. I plan to use foam board to make a rock wall across the back of my aquarium coat it with cement and silicone it to the back.

I have been watching you tube videos on how to do it but the question i have is regarding the cement. I have seen where they say to fill and drain the aquarium like 8 times to wash the cement so it doesnt jack up the pH but thats a lot of water for my 75 gallon tank not to mention all the bucket lifting. Do you think i could fill a container of water and soak it overnight then put it in my tank and be safe?

That's what I plan on doing with the BG I just made. I have a huge Tupperware container for clothing and il going to soak mine in that for a few days. I'm using drylok instead if straight cement (check out my thread) so mine shouldn't leach too much, but i figure it's better to be safe.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

cement is no good in water as it is porus and will always leach releasing chemical into the water

I think cement is used quite often for this so you must be able to rinse enough to keep leeching down. Have you considered fibre glass? It works well and is used the same, by building up on pre shaped foam.

No an overnight soak will not be sufficient.

Water is cheap, do it right with the multiple soak and rinse cycles. You don't have to do it in the tank. If designed in pieces it can be soaked elsewhere like in a trash can or rubbermaid container.

Cement has limestone in it and it can raise your PH. It takes about three days for it to completely cure. After it has become well hardened it should be safe. I have seen it used a lot in aquariums. You can soak it in something and change the water daily, however, a good rinsing is all I have seen others do.

I would recommend looking at some builds with regards to soak times......(some go 8 weeks before seeing pH stabilize).

It took my wall about 4 to 5 weeks to stop leaching. The finished project is well worth it though!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1390273596801.jpg
    1390273596801.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 325
Back
Top Bottom