AC/DC Adapter...Where to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tong

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for one of these so I can hook up some cooling fans. The only problem is I can not find one! I have looked at Best Buy and RadioShack and either they really didn't have them...or the person I talked to didn't know what I was talking about. Does anyone know if Wal Mart or Target would have them? Home Depot? Thanks.

The last AC to DC adaptor I bought was at Radioshack, and it was for a CB that I had setup in the garage. Not to many 12v hooks ups on the workbench, but if worse comes to worse you might be able to find one at a CB shop or at a larger truck stop. The ones that sell all the trucker goodies. I do remember seeing some adaptors in the CB section at Loves but there they will cost you an arm and a leg! Another thing to think about is one that offers a variable DC output depending on the voltage requirments of the fans. If I'm not mistaken the ones at wally world and home depot are DC to AC adaptors to run 110v aplliances from your vehicle. HTH.

At that price you may be better off just buying some AC fans. They run about $15-20 each, and you can find some of those at Radio Shack as well. I think the ones at that price are 3" fans.

Yeah those are a bit much. If I wanted that much power I would have ripped out an old PC power supply. I did find smaller ones under "adaptaplugs" on their site. Maybe I'll try another RadioShack on my way home.

As for AC or DC fans, its not really a big deal or anything but I am just kind of fond of DC fans from my computer modding days. Tangent: I once put 13 fans into a PC, two of which where the 5.5" type. Hey...its all or nothing.

Also, I know there are a lot of really nice quiet DC fans.

how many fans? what voltage? what amp each draw?
you might be able to find one from an old wireless phone just use a
multie meter to find positive and negative 12v DC fans will run on 13.5v DC

Another option is to talk to the technical/computer staff at work (assuming you have an IT staff). It is VERY common to have a box of old DC transformers sitting around that used to belong to obsolete/dead equipment. 12V "bricks" are incredibly common.

Back
Top Bottom