Accidental DIY background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I originally painted the back of my aquarium, and today decided to scrape it clean to let in more light.

The interim effect is really interesting ... This could be really cool with green paint.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413752934.813642.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413752958.062201.jpg

I originally painted with cheapo acrylic craft paint, swirling some red-brown and white into black for warmth and depth. And I thought it'd come off really easily if I changed my mind.

If I did it again I'd probably do half red brown and half black (bcause my substrate is a warm color), then scrape it like this (leaving more black around the mechanicals I wish to conceal) and paint on several shades of green. If I wanted light to come through I'd mix the green with a matte acrylic gel medium to sort of "frost" the glass.

Might not work but I wish I could try!! For now I'll just get back to scraping ... :(.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Looks cool. I agree, painting the scraped parts green would be a nice effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The scraper is that cheapo blue API scraper and scrubber tool, that looks like a toilet brush set. Not very sharp so it skips.

Interesting. Try the green. You are already scraping, so what could it hurt?

I'm scraping to let in light, and can't reach the back of the tank well enough to paint. But I might try it on a piece of glass just to see what happens. I do have a 10 gallon with a broken pane downstairs ...

Could also be interesting with a mirror, maybe chrome spray paint.

That is neat.

I kinda see shades of Afro Samurai. if the remaining paint were red or green....that would be cooler!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom