Acrylic and Glass allow spectrum to penetrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absinthena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't like the way most manufactured hoods look so I decided to take it upon my incompetent self to make a hood. I was wondering though... in my layer of acrylic or glass between the tank water and my lights - Will it let the spectrum of my flourescent pass through? This came to my mind when I was at the HI store and saw some acrylic sheets protected against UV rays. It got me wondering.

Does anyone know anything about this? I would rather get acrylic (because of price). Also, has anyone had any porblems with acrylic and light-heat?

Anne :p

I would go with a glass sheet if I were you. All plastics block UV rays to some greater or lesser degree.

I run my tank open topped, it helps control temp, allows all light to enter the tank and increases gas exchange.

From what I have read...it is the opposite, glass blocks more UV than acrylic, unless ithe acrylic has been treated.

From what I understood Absinthena is looking at making a housing for lighting so glass protection under the lights yes but not on the aquarium ... since like RR69 says it would block some of the essential surface gas exchange !

reefrunner69 said:
I run my tank open topped, it helps control temp, allows all light to enter the tank and increases gas exchange.

From what I have read...it is the opposite, glass blocks more UV than acrylic, unless ithe acrylic has been treated.

Ideally, I would like to do this. However, I don't know if this will be a FW or SW tank. It was given to me after someone with an open-topped SW used it and everything was corroded from evaporative contact.

But ALSO.. This tank is in my room where my cats, dogs, gerbils and hamsters are as well. I get a lot of animal dander and hair in my room. (Not to mention my own person FUNK) It layers on top of the hoods for my other aquariums right now. I'm concerned about that getting in my tank!

And, yeah, I'm just looking for some sort of protection between the lights and tank-water. I gonna have wood above the lights.

Back
Top Bottom