Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

After 2-3 days the cell cast 3/8" started to warp a little bit. Being probably too much of a perfectionist, I took it off, dried it out, and glued two strips on the long axis one in the rear by the HOB filter, and one in the front where the lift cover is. So it's like having a T-beam for support. It is now holding up without significant warping. I'm glad I held off on the big buy a little longer. The biggest cost was about $20 for the cell cast acrylic. Next was the labor that went into it. It came out beautiful and functional. Maybe I'll go into business making custom acrylic covers. <smile>

Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I'm guessing then that this is a FW tank? I have a 55g FW with evap problems too. Actually all of my tanks evap like crazy because we use a wood stove to heat our house. My Reef tank has an auto-top-off system on it and the FW tanks I just add water to them as needed.
I loose 1/4 inche of water per day on my 20g SW, same thing in my 29g FW and on my 10g QT. Very frustrating, as I have to create RODI water all the time...

Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itafx View Post
After 2-3 days the cell cast 3/8" started to warp a little bit. Being probably too much of a perfectionist, I took it off, dried it out, and glued two strips on the long axis one in the rear by the HOB filter, and one in the front where the lift cover is. So it's like having a T-beam for support. It is now holding up without significant warping. I'm glad I held off on the big buy a little longer. The biggest cost was about $20 for the cell cast acrylic. Next was the labor that went into it. It came out beautiful and functional. Maybe I'll go into business making custom acrylic covers. <smile>
Thanks for the tip. I also do not want to throw the towel yet. Could you please give few more details as I am very bad with diy. What kind of strip did you glued? Did you used aquarium silicone for the glue? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat_mcsd1 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I also do not want to throw the towel yet. Could you please give few more details as I am very bad with diy. What kind of strip did you glued? Did you used aquarium silicone for the glue? Thanks for your help.
Epoxy
Old 11-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Epoxy
I assume Epoxy glue that I get for my son's school supply. Is it safe to use in aquarium? Sorry I am new and trying to learn.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not IN the aquarium, but once epoxy is dry it's safe to use anywhere. Epoxy is the strongest glue I know. Also if your 'Epoxy' is not two gel that U must mix, that's not epoxy.

Cyanocrylate based glue can be used in the aquarium even if it's not dry.

Sillicon is usually vinegar based, so not safe to use in aquariums until dry.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use styrene sheets, like what diffuses lights in offices. Six bucks per 2x4 sheet. Cuts like acrylic with score and snap, or a saw blade. It's not very ridged but it doesn't warp from moisture.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-2...CP-5/202653810

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using white eggcrate... It's easy to cut and to remove. They're sold as 2x4 too.

This look like this on my tank. (There's a hole in the middle for maximum light penetration. Also fishs tend to jump on the side of the tank, not in the middle.)

We see it better in this video at 2:00...

Tags
acrylic, cover

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com