Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Acrylic glue question

I just bought a large acylic tank used . Well, there used to be a divider in there and there is acrylic glue on the inside. I was wondering if there is a solvent that will take off acrylic glue? Or some other way to get it off safely without hurting the acrylic? maybe a buffer?

Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, it is not glue, but it rathers fuses acrylic parts together. You could try some kind of very find grinding paper on a hand tool, like a drill or Dremel, or just let it be and just buffer it. Perhaps serious buffing would help to improve the appearance, but either way, it will be serious work.

Cheers,

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
You might have luck finding someone localy that knows how to flame polish to clean it up for you.

I wouldnt recomend learning on a tank, if you would like to learn how try to work with some small projects and do some reaserch (google rules! :P )
Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #4

I've seen acylic polish for taking out small scratches, I'm wondering if anyone out there has every tried to sand (very fine) and polish their tank and how it looked for a finished product?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I've sanded acrylics .... not on a tank .... I got down to 600/1200 grit. The result is a frosted glass appearance (looks good for what I wanted).

To sand/polish a tank till it is clear would prob involve a lot of elbow grease and maybe 4000x or finer compound. I don't have the patience for that!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
It takes a dimond based polish to work with glass (to get it clear again), acrylic should be similar.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wet sand with automotive grits starting at around 400 then 600, onto 800 then 1200 or 1500... If you can find 2000, then do it too. Start by going perpendicular to the scratch, and for each successive grit, go perpendicular to the direction of your last grit as well as feathering out the edge of your area. Then use a product by 3m for polishing automotive urethane clearcoats called Imperial Hand Glaze and apply it like this: Put a bit on to a rag; for a large scratched area, use a mechanical buffing wheel, like an orbital sander wrapped in the rag... Single scratch/small area, the tip of your finger inside of the rag is good. Use a little bit, because what happens is the stuff gets better as it gets drier from the friction. You want to rub it till it squeaks like a clean dish. Polishing acrylic has to do with HEAT HEAT HEAT so the faster/harder you rub, the quicker your results will come due to the friction. Flame polishing can warp/craze/stress-crack acrylic fast, and isn't necessary on a surface scratch, as it is really meant for polishing edges. Hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #8

I agree with Sicklid and just wanted to add that you should be able to find the fine grit auto sandpaper up to 2000 at Walmart's auto department. I buy it to sharpen woodworking tools like chisels and plane blades.

Tags
acrylic, glue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com