Acrylic or Glass for a DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have given my cut sheet to the local glass cutter place and they want $80 to CUT the glass for the Fuge and $70 to cut the glass for my Sump. They will charge between $20 and $60 a hole to drill the glass, so I guess I will do that myself.

Question, at these prices, is it better to go with Acrylic and do the whole thing myself? I do not have a table saw, but I can make guides and straightedges to cut it with a jig saw.

Is it really that hard to get a good acrylic seam? I am afraid because there is no turning back once you start, Silicone can be removed and redone.

Thoughts? I have NEVER done anything like this, Acrylic or Glass.

Thanks

I would go for the Acrylic. It just sounds easier to me. Much cheaper too. I don't think that you need a table saw to cut the Acrylic either. Depending on how thick the material is that you are using, you could get away with scoring it along a straight edge and folding it along the line. This will give you a straight cut and you should only need a little sanding to then clean it up.

Or have you thought of using another aquarium to construct the fuge and sump in?

Either way, if you look through the pages in the DIY forum you will find threads on how to do both of these.

like bearfan said, if you used a rubbermade container (look through your local walmart, kmart, or wholesale club) for a sump, then actually built a fuge from glass/acrylic, or another small aquarium you can cut your costs considerably.

If I make the sump from Rubbermaid, what do I make seperating sections and a bubble trap out of? Silicon would hold stuff in place if the container does not flex much.

What you think?

well you have a few options...

1)most aquarium / pet stores do sell tank dividers you can use
2) if you prefer something a little more beefy you can get 1/4in width of glass from a glass shop
3) acrylic sheets (but again 1/4in should be enough)
4) use the plastic lid(s) the containter came with (some people have done with this with good success)

and if the container flexes a bunch you can use a 2x4 to frame up the container, i know this is getting more and more complex, but its still cheaper believe it or not

Well ---the glass aquarium is cheap and easy, but if you are like me it might get broken. I have seen the Rubbermaid solution used. If you are creative you can get a large contained for the main sump and several smaller containers to just set in the large container to create different areas for the skimmer and pump. You can cut the height of the sides of the containers to make the water follow a path from the rock>skimmer>pump. It is easy as long as you don't want a very complicated design. R

Back
Top Bottom