Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Acrylic polishing help

Hi, I'm in the process of polishing my acrylic tank. I'm using Macguire's PlastX to do the job. It's an automotive headlight restoration polish. The tank is coming out very nicely using this stuff.

The question came to my mind of how to sterilize the inside of the tank so it is safe to put livestock in it once I'm done. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any explanation of this final step. If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate your knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

How's it going with that stuff? I used it for a bit but i felt like it left it a bit cloudy so I ordered novus 2 and I liked it better... About your question, it's a very good one and I've never thought of it lol. I restored an acrylic frag tank and sold it without washing and I never got a call back about it killing his livestock... I would wash it with water and light soap (no scrubbing) to cut the oil and then rinse it ALOT, let it dry and see if you still feel the oil

Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's going great actually. I'm wet sanding it starting with a 600 grit then moving to 1000, then 2000, and finally a 3000 grit. After that I applied the PlastX with a buffer ball attached to a drill and buffed the heck out of it. The finished product looks better than new in my opinion. Here's the link to the video that I found. Removing scratches from an acrylic aquarium - YouTube. I'm following the steps exactly as the video says.

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll just clean it very thoroughly.

Tags
acrylic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com