Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Acrylic Questions

I plan on building a sump for my new tank out of acrylic. Here are some of the questions I have:

1. What's the best way to cut it? I've read several places that you should score it by using a razor blade and then snap it off afterward. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

2. What thickness should I use for a sump that will be 24"x13.5" and will be filled with about 12" of water? (That's roughly 17 gallons)

3. How will I cut large holes in the side of the sump for bulkhead fittings so I can attach an external protein skimmer and pump?

4. What sort of aquarium-safe glue should I use to attach all the pieces? Should I simply use the epoxy they sell at the stores for gluing live rock together?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Well sumphead and i have been doing alot of work with acrylic lately. We use a 10'' table saw witha finishing blade on it to cut the acrylic. We use 1/4'' acrylic for the sumps. To glue them together we use Weld-on #3 and then to seal the seems we use weld-on #16. You can use a spaid drill bit or a whole saw. Go slow when using a whole saw so it doesn't melt.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay. I'm also curious what glue I should use to attach the PVC together? (Never worked with PVC either)

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
It might sound like a smart answer but PVC glue to secure PVC. Its one of those things you can find next to the PVC in the hardwarestores. You have about 10 seconds to work with the two parts when gluing before they are bonded. This is why you need to dryfit everything and only start gluing once you like how everything dryfits. Smear some around the inside of the fitting and then insert the other PVC and twist slightly to get a good bond around all of the PVC.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
To glue them together we use Weld-on #3 and then to seal the seems we use weld-on #16.
I would like to know, where you can get this "Weld-On" stuff. Local Hardware store maybe?
Thanks,

Mike
5-6 Inch Sand Bed-200+ lbs of LR
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the info. I actually knew about PVC glue, I just didn't know if it was aquarium safe. Is there anything I should stay away from as far as glue goes?

Old 05-24-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well sumphead and i get the weld on glue from an acrylic place in indianapolis. I know that lowes and HD do not carry it. You can order it online. As far as local places i am not sure.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am taking a road trip Wednesday to Indianapolis for an Electric Show at the Covention center. Where exactly do you get this stuff? I figure since I will be there I might as well get it there too..LOL

Mike
Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Um do you know where illinois street is in indy? The place is called meyer plastics. It is on illionois street. About 2 blocks north of 10th street downtown.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll be able to find it. thanks

Mike

Tags
acrylic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com