Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Adding a DIY Diatom Filter to a Canister?

As I was sleeping, I dreamt up a possible solution to this situation using my XP3 filter. Basically, use the pleated filter material that the Magnum filters use (I am pretty sure that this material can be found at a craft store to save money), and hold that in place in the filter using foam (think of very small foam in a cylindrical shape, and flexible (maybe 1/4" diameter?). Cut a notch into the foam and insert the pleated material. So basically, you are making a filter pad the size of the media canister. Place the diatom powder under the pad, so that the flow of water will push the powder against the pleated material. I am thinking of 2 or 3 layers of material to guard against wierd flow patterns and DIY lower success % factor.

I have attached 2 drawings - the first is the media set and flow pattern in an XP3. I would put the diatom stuff in the middle canister to prevent wierd flows at the top affecting the powder movement, and also because my whole top container is filled with floss.

The second drawing is of a potential set up in a container illustrating how I would place the diatom filter, the other filter media, and the flow of water. There is also a top view of the "look" of the diatom filter in the container. The Diatom powder would be placed below the pleated material media so that the water flow would "push" the powder against the pleated material.

My thought is this - my filter is rated at 350gph - Lets assume worst case, so 175gph into the filter. according to the filter diagram, some inflow will immediately pass out of the filter, assume 20% loss. If the diatom filter is only 50% successful, then based on a reverse compound interest calculation, and a randomly chosen set amount of 100ppm of algae in 75g of water, then in 7 hours there would be less than 1ppm of algae left.

I don't know if this would be a universal fix for all canisters since I am pretty sure the Fluvals have vertical compartments, but if it works, it should be applicable to the eheims...

So, any glaring flaws with this? Heck, any thoughts at all about its potential success? TIA

Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
To me, it seems like a good idea, but I would wonder how fast it would clog and possibly damage the filter's motor.....The fluvials have a similar set up.
Couldn't you just put the diatom stuff in a mesh "baggie" like the stuff the carbon is, or is that type of media too small?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think most diatom filters have high pressure pumps, at least much more so than a typical canister filter would have.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since I have never used a diatom filter, some of this is rather new to me. I believe that the flow could be impeded by the powder/filter, but since the water can still flow around, and I don't plan to leave the filter in indefinitely, I don't see damage as a likely possibility.

Also, after one-two hours, if a visual check on the tank doesn't show any green water improvement, then this idea can be scrapped and the filter materials removed.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Couldn't you just put the diatom stuff in a mesh "baggie" like the stuff the carbon is, or is that type of media too small?
apparently the powder is extremely fine, and most baggies wouldn't hold it in...also you really don't want to get this powder into your tank under any circumstances - it seems to make a huge mess.
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ahhh, ok.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, diatom, diy, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com