Adding reflective surface to light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My light fixture is made of plastic and doesn't have a reflective backing. I'd like to add one. I was thinking of just gluing smoothly applied aluminium foil (like the stuff you use to cook food in) to the area which needs to be reflective.

Anyone tried this? Is this an "OK" idea?

I've heard the same thing as schulze. I guess one problem with aluminum foil is that it is hard to keep wrinkle free. I actually have aluminum foil on my light fixture, which I will be replacing. I could only find Mylar by the roll. That was $30 for 1 mil mylar in a 4' x 25' roll. They had thicker stuff that was $40 a roll, but regardless that was a lot more mylar than I would need, and more than I wanted to spend.

However, I went to a lhs (local hobby store), and found some self adhesive chrome. It's supposed to be for RC airplanes. It comes in 30" x 5" (approx) strips and cost me $2.79 ea. I bought a couple of them and will try them out in the next few days. I'm note real sure if I will see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom