advice for first time tank build,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joejeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get my feel wet building a small tank, like a fe

Cont. I was thinking of starting with around 3 gallons for a betta tank. I also want to figure out how to make my own filter for it. I have no idea where to start. Glass cutting? Can you find it cut? How do you make small filters... Any guidance is appreciated.

I went to home depot and bought 5 pieces of glass, cut them and siliconed them together and made my 3 gallon tank. It didn't hold water very well since I didn't get the bottom piece cut absolutely perfect, but it was a good learning project. Buy some glass and the cutting kit and just practice cutting straight lines in the glass for now. Good luck!!

All I can find at lowest is plexi glass. Will that wrk?

Well, you can build a tank out of plexiglass, (it's then an acrylic tank), but I have not attempted it since glass was cheaper. If you look in your phone book or on yellowpages.com, you can find somebody local who does glass work. They will often times help and your lines will be straight, it would be a good starting point if you're not feeling up to cutting it yourself. Keep us informed.

fldeputydiver said:
Well, you can build a tank out of plexiglass, (it's then an acrylic tank), but I have not attempted it since glass was cheaper. If you look in your phone book or on yellowpages.com, you can find somebody local who does glass work. They will often times help and your lines will be straight, it would be a good starting point if you're not feeling up to cutting it yourself. Keep us informed.

Will do. Kind of wanting to make this a build for.my gf for Xmas. Maybe try to have a bamboo shoot growing out of top. Seems most keep Bettas in open tops so no lid should be fine? But ya I think having glass cut may be best so.I am not trying to learn two skills at once. Also, since it will be a gift, I want to do a good job...

From what I have seen, it ends up being cheaper to buy the smaller tanks than to build them though, unless you are doing something exotic. My next project will be a new coffee tableank fish t, but I'm currently redoing our master bedroom and my wife will kill me if I don't get that done soon. :D

fldeputydiver said:
From what I have seen, it ends up being cheaper to buy the smaller tanks than to build them though, unless you are doing something exotic. My next project will be a new coffee tableank fish t, but I'm currently redoing our master bedroom and my wife will kill me if I don't get that done soon. :D

Ha-ha I was just.talkin to.a guy about that. There are some cool DIY ways to convert a fishtank into a coffee table.for cheaps. But I know it would be cheaper to buy any tank under like 50 gallons than to build . But the whole made it myself thing appeals I think. Plus it would be good to practice on a small project....

I wouldnt recommend using plexiglass. It is not the same thing as acrylic and I have often heard it turns yellow. I want to do a build one day too so interested to see how this works!

Back
Top Bottom