Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice Needed On Constructing A Homemade Uv-C Sanitizer!

Hello there,
I am an keen athlete and due to the circumstances I often find myself wearing the same pair of shoes over prolonged periods of time without a chance of changing socks or shoes. As a result, I occasionally suffer from fungal infections and bad foot odour.

A few days ago I saw a product called sterishoe, advertised as a shoe sanitizer. To my understanding it is essentially a UV-C lamp which is utilized to kill any fungus present in the shoes. Do you think it's an effective way of killing fungi? I have decided to give it a try using my own homemade device. UV-C lamps for sanitational purposes are only used in aquariums so I thought this would be the best place to ask for help.

I am just looking for a UV-C bulb with a cable to be able to power it. I need a bulb which will not get very hot as it will be placed inside shoes. I have no idea of UV devices but from what I've heard the best way to kill fungus is with UV-C high intensity radiation with peak frequency of 253.7nm even though I have no idea what this means. I would like to hear your view on this! Do you think I should get a lamp with more than 10W of power?

What do you think, are those lamps any good?
UV Shop - G4T5 - 4 Watts
13w PLS UV bulb - Aquarium - Pond - All Pond Solutions
Buy Arcadia Ultra Clear Compact UV Lamp - 9w 165mm at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Fish pond accessories.

The overall length of the device shouldn't exceed 19-23 cm and as I would like to get as much as lamp area as possible.Most UV-C lamps have a G23 socket and even though there is a wide variety of lamps available I haven't really found any short adaptors/cables available on sale locally or through the web (I live in the UK).

I am looking for something like this:

As for safety, I am aware that UV-C radiation can damage the eyes so I intend to place the shoes inside a cardboard box while the device is functioning. My guess is that should be enough.

I would like to try this out and I thought I hoped I could get some advice from you guys. Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anyone? My main concern is finding a suitable G23 adaptor/cable for this kind of use.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com