Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Advice needed on cracked bottom

My bottom has a crack

I have a 150g tank - 48x24x30
I started to put water in it and the bottom glass cracked near the center from front to back and water is slowly leaking through it

You can feel ridge along the crack

So how to fix

Removing bottom panel is a lot of work and its 1/2" thick so expensive to get new glass

I was thinking could I sandwich the 1/2" cracked glass between two 1/4" glass pieces

1 piece I would silicon to the bottom of the broken piece and would be same dimensions of the bottom - ie 48x24
The other piece I would place inside the tank and silicon ontop of the broken piece - this would be about 1" smaller in order to fit inside

Effecticely saving me from removing the broken piece and risking damage to the sides, cheaper as 1/4" glass is cheap

Would this be a good solution, would it work?

hhv00586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Solution: throw the old tank away and buy a new one, or remove and replace the bottom glass. If the 1/2 glass is broken (i.e. ridges and leaking), 1/4" glass isn't going to fix your problem.

the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
replace the bottom my friend.
KidFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
That tank can be fixed with a patch. The question is, why did it break? If the entire bottom is supported, a patch inside will do. Alternatively, with the bottom supported a piece can be added that covers the entire bottom. The local big Al's has a 780 gallon tank with a repaired bottom, that has been holding water for years.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is online now   Reply With Quote

advice, bottom, crack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com