Advice on buying a 180 gal Acrylic Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meshari

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i need advice on buying an Acrylic tank. It's for a salt water tank.
I want to buy a 180 cm x 70 cm x 70 cm I use metric, but it come to 180 gal size in inch 72 x 24 x 24. With an Acrylic stand.
The sale person said the thickness will be 1/2 inch or 15mm is that enough? He said" 15mm thick crystal clear sheet and UV stable" Is it good?
Then what should I say, since its custom maid, I can say anything, but since it is my first time I need help. I did say and overflow but where to choose to put it? Is it better to say one pipe in (water back to tank) and one out (water go to sump) or two in and one out?
As for the sump I thought i will do one out of glass myself (with help).
What about the top part, i read people saying that its narrow the opening?, what should I say to have it enough big for me to be able to work in the tank.
They say "we also use a mitre joint which gives you an even stronger joint (50%) bigger surface area compared to a solvent" What do they mean? is it true?
I am sure there is other thing I want to ask, but don't know yet what to ask you.

Last edited:
I've never had an acrylic tank so I can't tell you about working in them. They tend to have smaller openings on the top then a glass tank but that is for stability purposes. If the people you are ordering the tank from have built tanks in the past find out who they sold to and talk with them about the tanks.

I'm not familiar with a mitre joint when building an acrylic tank. That is a new one for me. I can see how it would offer more surface area for bonding but I don't know whether that is better or worse. 1/2" thick acrylic should be fine. I would check out some other tanks these people have built before committing to the purchase!

Overflow - I would have 2 overflows both on the back panel of the tank evenly spaced. 1 in and 1 out on both. With that sized tank you are going to want dual overflows.

Back
Top Bottom