Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to duckdog
Advice on this diffuser

Let me know what you think the bubbles roll around on the output of my filter and slowly dissapate to nothing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diff_204.jpg (40.6 KB, 80 views)

Old 09-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is what I recently posted on another thread that I think will work much better for you.

I suggest looking into a diffussion bell. Tetra use to make them. Then you get 100% gas diffusion. You could easily make one as well using a 20oz soda bottle:

1. cut off the neck

2. Poke a hole in the bottom

3. Insert a piece of rigid line through the hole about 1/2-2/3 into the open bottle leaving about 1/2" out the bottom.

4. Silicone the tube in place

5. Attach two suction cups to exterior of bottle.

6. Attach air line tubing to the rigid tubing coming out the bottom.

7. Invert bottle and place in tank suctioning to glass (let all Air out of bottle)

8. Periodically fill the chamber from your CO2 source. You could even leave it hooked up with a on/off valve just make sure you also have a one way check valve in place to avoid draining your tank.

It provides much better gas exchange than the bubble method.

Not sure what you are using for a CO2 source, but here is a cheap DIY method that worked for years for me.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
you should be lousing alot of your CO2 with that method.. the bubbles popping would indicate that was your CO2.. sorry for the bad news..
putting your CO2 into the intake with a line reduser (the ones for the smaller airline for decorations) helps but only if you have a HOB that can handle it without getting air locked (recomended for aquaclear HOB's only but YMMV)..
a internal powerhead reactor with your airstone and some bio-balls
a internal venturi loop reactor
a passive reactor like the bell..
HTH
Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to duckdog
Well I built the bell style and wow it rocks thanks again guys if only all sites shared knowledge like this we would all be happy
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a little modification on that idea. I took a length of rubber tubing and pluged one end. Then I put in a platic elbow at the bottom of the tubing and conenected my DIY CO2 injector. YOu could use a test tube or any cylinder to take up less space and make it easier to hide.

I like the idea of turning it off for absorption before it runs out but what happens if the pressure gets too high? Will the bottle fail or burst? I am using a 3 litre bottle with the standard sugar, yeast, baking soda/powder mix. I think it was 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast dissolved and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Still running strong after 3 days!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I let my CO2 just run out. They still lasted 3 weeks to a month with a 2 liter bottle. I am mystified why everyone is concerned about sealing off their system. Just fill the diffusion chamber daily as it dissipates and let it go.

Really with the DIY method we are talking about 10 minutes and pennies worth of material to refill it once the reaction is done.

Sometimes I think we make things to complicated

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diffuser

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com