Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to Onewayoflife
Exclamation Advice on UGFs needed please!

Hello! Just a quick question... i have a tank that i would like to put an undergravel filter system in. It has been up for about 2 months. D i need to get rid of fish and start again or can i put the system in and run it alongside the existing filter for a bit? thanks in advance! oneway.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #2

Do not use an UGF. There are much better filter options out there today that can do everything an UGF can do and more, but do it better.

IME sand is the best substrate by far.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I imagine that installing a UGF in an already set up tank would be a messy ole business, I should think it would require a complete strip down. I've never used one myself but from what I've read about them they are pretty old school and really not that good.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

not much love for UGF's here *grin* but to answer the question it would be less stressful on the fish to remove them, then all the gravel to put it in right. And for the second part run both filter for a few weeks to reduce the odds of a mini-cycle if you can.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Do not use an UGF. There are much better filter options out there today that can do everything an UGF can do and more, but do it better.

IME sand is the best substrate by far.
i have an 'elite stingray 15' at the moment, but it scares some smaller fish and they get swept away in the currant. i was looking for a cheap option (i can get a ugf kit for £8)
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight View Post
not much love for UGF's here *grin* but to answer the question it would be less stressful on the fish to remove them, then all the gravel to put it in right. And for the second part run both filter for a few weeks to reduce the odds of a mini-cycle if you can.

i meant take them back to the shop and buy new ones when it was done to let the filter run for a bit...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewayoflife View Post
i have an 'elite stingray 15' at the moment, but it scares some smaller fish and they get swept away in the currant. i was looking for a cheap option (i can get a ugf kit for £8)
What size is the tank? You can get smaller (ie less powerful) internal filters for not a great deal of cash, the Fluval "mini" is £12.95 at seapets.co.uk and is suitable for up to 45l tanks (200l p/h). Or if you like the Stingrays then there is a 5 and a 10 that are under £15 on the same site
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And as an afterthought, if you got a less powerful stingray you could just trim down the media from the bigger one and use that rather than run both at the same time.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickletas View Post
What size is the tank? You can get smaller (ie less powerful) internal filters for not a great deal of cash, the Fluval "mini" is £12.95 at seapets.co.uk and is suitable for up to 45l tanks (200l p/h). Or if you like the Stingrays then there is a 5 and a 10 that are under £15 on the same site

i like the fluvals...

it is 50L (23''X 11.5'')

i read that because it draws the water thorough the gravel, that the amout of bacteria filtering makes it better than any submersible filter...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Having done some further reading it would seem that if they are properly maintained (ie regular 10-20% gravel cleans for solid waste and to stop the gravel compacting) then they really aren't that bad. However they do only provide you with bio filtration, there is no chemical or mechanical (well except for the gravel vacs ). I can't make comment on whether the bio filtration is better or worse in either type but judging by the amount of rubbish I rinse of my filter media every week (260l), I would go with a submersible any day as there is no way I could clean up that amount of filth manually. Even in my 35l (6 galaxy rasbora, 5 ember tetras and 6 amano shrimp) the media gets comparably filthy, so again I don't think I could do as good a job as the filter as far as mechanical goes.

Tags
biological, filter, ugf, undergravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com