Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsprinter
I just wanted to add that I have the 4x 55w kit that I bought 3 or 4 years ago and it still runs like a champ. I highly recommend these to anyone wanting to upgrade their lighting. They are pretty simple to put together as long as you have common sense.
Thanks for the info. I like the design and it went together perfectly. GSP tank will get one just like this on their 29g.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if I can continue this new lighting scenario here or if I'm going to have to start a new thread, so here goes .

I'm planning on doing another kit conversion for lighting my brackish water GSP build. The kit will not be the issue, but the type on bulb is something I'm unsure of, since I'll be having plants acclimated to the tank from the start of the cycling process. Do I want another 55w, 6700K bulb for the tank, or should I get a 55w, 10000K/Actinic combo bulb? (twin tube PCF).

Any suggestion or info will be greatly appreciated .

At some point, the plants may have to come out as the GSP get older and the salinity has to be raised close to 1.022 (just short of full SW) but that will be 3-4 years down the road.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mr.Limpet,
I find the actinic colour makes things look very nice.
I've been looking at all kinds of options and wondered about a DIY that allows seperate switches for each bulb, 1 actinic, 1 10,000K for plants. Not sure If that interests you but if so, please document as you go, whatever you decide.
DIY threads are great
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112j View Post
Mr.Limpet,
I find the actinic colour makes things look very nice.
I've been looking at all kinds of options and wondered about a DIY that allows seperate switches for each bulb, 1 actinic, 1 10,000K for plants. Not sure If that interests you but if so, please document as you go, whatever you decide.
DIY threads are great
Yep, that's what I was thinking. But this bulb has two tube in one bulb and you can get it so it's split between the two colors. I think it would look cool too .
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

The floating plug is kind of a con we have to live with I think, my lights on my big tank are the square pin type instead of the in-line like yours and its a free floating as well... tbh the light clamps are tight enough I worry more about breaking the tubes that it falling out.

Oddly I was just looking at the very same and wondering if the 2X36w kit would be overkill on my 10g tank, seems a waste to get the single ($45)when the 2X is just 20 bucks more($69)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight View Post
The floating plug is kind of a con we have to live with I think, my lights on my big tank are the square pin type instead of the in-line like yours and its a free floating as well... tbh the light clamps are tight enough I worry more about breaking the tubes that it falling out.

Oddly I was just looking at the very same and wondering if the 2X36w kit would be overkill on my 10g tank, seems a waste to get the single ($45)when the 2X is just 20 bucks more($69)
Even with the single 55w bulb, it's a lot of light and caused a Diatoms bloom I'm still dealing with lol. The floating plug works fine so far and I'm looking at the double kit for my GSP brackish build.

With the double you only get 1 ballast, so that's the price cut. 72 watts on a 10g? Better start looking at full on co2 for your plants.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

*LOL* yeah....probably won't go that far, but its such a nice fun thought
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just ordered a 2nd kit from Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits for my GF's brackish water tank (GSP as centerpiece). Going with the 55w PCF strip light conversion kit like before, only for this tank I'm getting the combo 10000K/Actinic split tube bulb since I have plants that are being acclimated to BW.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Just ordered a 2nd kit from Compact Fluorescent Lighting Kits for my GF's brackish water tank (GSP as centerpiece). Going with the 55w PCF strip light conversion kit like before, only for this tank I'm getting the combo 10000K/Actinic split tube bulb since I have plants that are being acclimated to BW.
Would love to see this documented if you have the time. I'll be deciding on my lighting in June and this exact split tube 55w is one of my options. Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112j View Post
Would love to see this documented if you have the time. I'll be deciding on my lighting in June and this exact split tube 55w is one of my options. Thanks
It'll be the exact same build as I did here, just a different bulb and of course there will be pics of how it looks (if they ever get the app working again lol)

Tags
ahsupply.com, build, diy, light, lighting, planted tanks, supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com